Deco M5 DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 DHCP
Deco M5 DHCP
2019-08-21 15:17:20
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 build 20190403 relationship 43515

I have two Deco M9 and one M5 in AP mode as follows:

Wired                       Wireless

SonicWall ----------- Deco M9 -------------- Deco M9

|  Wireless

------------- Deco M5 - Switch - end points

Devices wirelessly connect to any deco unit and the Master M9 (wired) has both the M5 and the second M9 connected.

The end points connected to the switch have fixed DCHP IP addresses, and DHCP is running on the SonicWall for the AP Mesh network range.

My issue is that the M5 will connect a device but the device does not get DHCP IP and route info.  

If walk down close to an M9 unit (either) then DHCP works issuing an IP and I can return to the location with the M5 and things carry on working. 

So I know the SonicWall DHCP is working as the M9 units are supporting it with clients.

I know the M5 is working as it reports OK and the wired devices connect via it. 

So what its it with the M5 blocking or ignoring DHCP in AP mode when meshed to an M9 controller?

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Keith

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M5 DHCP
2019-08-22 04:00:43

@MAC28 

Hello, Keith, we will do some troubleshooting first and try to fix it.

What is the IP and gateway obtained with your device connected to the Deco M5?

As you mentioned, "if you walk down close to an M9 unit (either) then DHCP works issuing an IP and I can return to the location with the M5 and things carry on working", may I know which Deco your device connects when you back to the location with M5? You can verify it on the Deco app. 

Besides, please connect a computer  to the Deco M5 by wired cable with dynamic IP to verify whether it works well. 

And you can swap the location of the 2 slave Decos to give it a go.

Any updates, please let us know. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 DHCP
2019-08-22 08:40:33

I noticed that the Deco App is reporting an IP for the M5 that the SonicWall DHCP has not issued, so they are out of sync.

When I set up the mesh I only added the M9 Controller with a fixed IP (DHCP Static), I was not sure haw the mesh worked and left the remotes to fend for them selves.

So yesterday I configured SonicWall static DHCP IP address for all my DECO M9 and M5 and following a reboot that seems to be more stable, with the M5 supporting DHCP requests and devices sucessfully connecting. 

Its early days but i will post an update. 

Keith

Kevin_Z wrote

@MAC28 

Hello, Keith, we will do some troubleshooting first and try to fix it.

What is the IP and gateway obtained with your device connected to the Deco M5?

As you mentioned, "if you walk down close to an M9 unit (either) then DHCP works issuing an IP and I can return to the location with the M5 and things carry on working", may I know which Deco your device connects when you back to the location with M5? You can verify it on the Deco app. 

Besides, please connect a computer  to the Deco M5 by wired cable with dynamic IP to verify whether it works well. 

And you can swap the location of the 2 slave Decos to give it a go.

Any updates, please let us know. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 DHCP
2019-08-22 08:53:36
Could you explain where in the deco app it is shown what device is connected to a specific deco. I get a list of device names I click on a device name and then on the gear symbol and it opens a screen with more details: IP, MAC ConnType Linked Decco, Location. The Connection Type is always "Main Network" and the Linked Decco is always "Unavailable for the current firmware". My firmware is up-to date. Keith
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 DHCP
2019-08-23 02:48:08

@MAC28 

First, it is glad to know that it works more stable after you setup static IP for them. 

For the feature which shows what device is connected to a specific deco, the Deco M9 plus does not support it yet. 

You can take more time to test its stability, if it happens again, please connect your computer to the Deco M9 plus and Deco M5 directly to verify the IP and gateway you got. 

Click here to know how to get these information. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2793

Replies: 4

Related Articles