Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network
2020-03-13 07:32:41

@CKK 

The guest network and main network are separate from each other when Deco works in regular router mode. 

For the AP mode, the Deco P7 does not support this feature yet, and it will be added via firmware upgrading in the future. 

Options
2020-03-13 20:41:59

@Kevin_Z 

I found this https://www.tp-link.com/nl/support/faq/2317/

it would maybe work if we could set the vlan id for the guest network. Also in AP mode. This way the devices should get IP from the correct DHCP.

You say P7 does not support guest network in AP mode but this was put on the change log and you can set this up in the app. So why is this if it is not supported?

(6. Added support of guest network in AP mode or Ethernet backhaul.)

When will there be a new firmware? It's been awhile.

Options
2020-03-14 08:25:03

@CKK I was ranting about this quite a while back.

I finally gave up.

As i said this is clearly false advertising and a major foul from tplink the Guest mode in AP. Don't wait for the firmwarte. I just gave up and went with router mode. i had to redisgn my lan but everything is working as suppose to be.

check my thread

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/171344

Options
2020-03-16 03:25:22

@CKK 

Hello, the VLAN ID is not supported when Deco works in AP mode, and the VLAN ID option displays when the Decos are in ethernet backhaul. 

For the second one, you misunderstand what I said, the Deco P7 supports guest network in AP mode, but guest network is not separated from main network; Instead, the guest network and main network are isolated from each other in router mode only now. 

As for the ETA, we still get no updates yet; we will contact the RD team and let you know if there is anything new. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Guest Network in AP mode is not separated from local network
2020-04-16 10:52:53

Hey folks, is this feature still on the roadmap? I realise it's not easy to do (you'll basically need the AP to have a DHCP server only for the guest network etc) but it would be a great addition to the firmware.

Options
2020-05-10 19:50:43

@Vassilis 

Seems like the newest firmware for the deco p7 works at last.

You use the same subnet but you cannot access any other ip than the gateway ip, so still be able to access the modem/router.

Options
2020-05-11 07:32:20

I have  same problem, i need set VLAN ID for guest, to separete my privte network from guest network.

this is basicali function of guest network..

I tried default VLAN 591, looks didnt worked in AP mode.

I came to deco from UBNT... bloody hell i wanna go back to UBNT ... this starting be nightmare.

No channel choises, no setup for vlan in AP mode. Stupide mobile APP, with few options in AP mode. I glad that i dont need run it in ROUTER, becouse who knows what kind of shits will goes to my privte network.

Options
2020-05-13 11:46:23

@AM1 

Hello, in my DECO M4 I verified that guest network is not isolated, both in AP mode and in Router mode.

So, to me, the option presented by the mobile app to switch a  "guest network" is, actually, only a second SSID with the same characteristics as the principal one.

With this kind of implementattion, the ony reason to switch on a second and NON ISOLATED network is to assign one SSID to 2.4GHz and the other to 5GHz bands.

Options
2020-10-11 15:48:59

@Kevin_Z Any news on this feature?

Options
2020-10-11 16:16:38

@JohnXYZ 

Have you updated your deco over the last months ?

they have issued a firmware fixing this (two updates).

I cannot test it as i ended up redisigning my network in order to use the router mode cause the guest function was too important for me.

Options