Optimize coverage and speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-22 14:17:23
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Deco P7(EU)_V1_181210

I need some help please with configuring the best setup an placing in my house.House has thick walls, so wifi is troubled.

Current situation is:

see picture

Floor 0:

1 Deco P7 as main router Deco

1 Deco same floor in Living room connected via Wifi and Powerline backhaul (ecept this the powerline is on a differen power group so connection is not optmial but wifi is optimal)

Floor 1:

No Deco. Problem is that on this floor one time connection is great around 100mbps. other time its around 30mbps. I think it doesnt switch right between the strongest available Deco. Maybe possible to have ethernet a connection on this floor.

Floor 3 Attic

1 Deco P7 connected via Wifi and powerline. Speed is around 65mbps, a bit too low. It is not possible to have a ethernet connection on this floor. 

How to solve this?

I was thinking adding another P7 on the first floor, and making this the main Deco. This because i think de connection to the floor above, will bemuch better. Powerline connection is on the same power group.

Is this possible like this?, see picture

Options
3 Reply
Re:Optimize coverage and speed
2019-08-23 07:00:47

@Rattaplan 

Hello, thanks for your requesting. It is clear to understand, I believe that you must spend some time on it. yes

Back to your case, you can add another Deco unit on the first floor considering distance between the attic and the main Deco, so that you can strengthen the wifi signal and network connection among the Deco units. 

Meanwhile, you mentioned that one bedroom sometime can get 30Mbps only, you can add the extra Deco near to this bedroom to improve the performance; 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Optimize coverage and speed
2019-08-23 07:27:43 - last edited 2019-08-23 07:28:31

Thanks Kevin i understand :-)

Back to the case, Ik see that i made a mistake in the picture. (bottom picture).

I was thinking of changing the current situation to: internet -> modem -> Switch -> Main Deco P7 on the first floor and also from the switch to the slave Deco P7 on de Bottom floor..

So i switch the main Deco from the one on the bottom floor to the one on the first floor. Why you ask? :-) Because the powerline connection is shorter between the first floor and the attic in comparison to Bottom floor to Attic. in the latter i only get around 65mbps connection. Is this the right way to think? Can i use a switch on the modem and from there one connect to the main deco and also connect to the slave deco? Ik ordered a M5 to replace the P7 on the bottom floor Living room.

The P7 i will use on the first floor. Reason why i add a M5 instead of another P7 is that The living room is not on the same power group as the first floor and attic, so my powerline connection is bad (orange led) I will try and experiment with this, but maybe you already see some flaws in my thinking?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Optimize coverage and speed
2019-08-27 07:34:00

@Rattaplan 

Hello, thanks for your reply.

First, we do not suggest you to connect the switch to the modem directly if there is no router existed as the front end device. In other word, if the pure modem connected to the switch directly, only one device can get internet from it with the username and password given by ISP; and there is only one Deco need to be connected to the internet source directly.

If possible, you can connect them like internet--modem--main Deco on the first floor --switch--Deco P7 on the bottom floor. Others remain the same. 

It is a brilliant choice to add Deco M5 cause the powerline environment affects the performance of the powerline backhaul a lot. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1776

Replies: 3

Related Articles