AX6000 Slow upload speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX6000 Slow upload speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
80 Reply
Re:AX6000 Slow upload speed
2020-02-19 09:30:31

@MixMaker Hi!!! Thank you very much for the information, it's now clear that the issue is very common... (even in other models, in other threads, people are describing this very same issue).

The main suspect is still QOS, because we can't disable it... (and people are also complaining that in older routers, in new firmwares, they don't have the possibility of disabling QOS any more... why TpLink would do that, is a mystery, but is a very poor choice to cut options from the users...

Best regards!!!

Options
2020-02-19 21:29:34

@Sultanmsa I have the same issue with both the Tplink C4000 and Ax6000. (both are boxed and ready to be returned) The forced QOS **is** the issue. I purchased the tplink ax1500 which allows QOS to be turned off (off by default) and I can get gig speeds on wired and closed to gig speeds on wireless (850m down). The QOS basically puts a layer of traffic processing on the internal CPU causing speeds to drop 1/3-1/4! 

Basically this forced QOS is why I am returning both models. The ax1500 is so much faster its just funny.

Conspiracy theroies aside I really think tplink is putting back doors in their routers to spy on us... (chinese state owned company) thats why we cannot shut this junk off.  :(

Options
2020-02-26 18:29:40 - last edited 2020-02-26 18:59:23

@utpal225  @ELEVONY  @hksavaliya  @originalsyn @speedmaster @Sultanmsa @seelymike  @TOMI313 @MixMaker  Hi everybody!!!!

For an unrelated issue, i've asked my ISP to replace the fiber modem (ONT), it was a ZTE F660.

They've installed a ZTE F680, and ta daaaaa... the problem was gone. So, the situation is this:

Router                        ONT            Download          Upload
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Archer C9                 ZTE F660           OK                    OK
Archer AX6000         ZTE F660           OK                    FAIL
Archer AX11000       ZTE F660           OK                    FAIL

Archer C9                 ZTE F680           OK                    OK
Archer AX6000         ZTE F680           OK                    OK
Archer AX11000       ZTE F680           OK                    OK

There must be something in the Archer AX6000 and AX11000 (i bought this router also), some kind of incompatibility that makes the upload in the ZTE F660 ONT very bad.... (1/4 of the total speed)...

What model of ONT (fiber modem) are you using? Can you ask your ISP for a newer model? (this was completely by chance, they are no longer using the ZTE F660, and for that reason only they've installed the F680)

Best regards!!!!

PS: I still want to be able to disable the freaking QOS!!!!!!

PS 2: All the tests were against a server located at my ISP (no delays there), with the "single connection" option in speedtest.net. The "multiple connection" option kind of hides the problem, using several concurrent downloads / uploads (like utorrent, for instance).
Options
2020-02-27 06:42:53

@pjaguilar 

It is glad to know that you figure it out by replacing the modem. 

As for the upload speed, QoS feature won't affect its performance; and if you do not enable QoS and set up QoS as standard, it won't take effect actually. 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:AX6000 Slow upload speed-Solution
2020-02-27 07:06:02 - last edited 2020-02-27 07:06:40

Hi all,

If you have the same issue with your Archer AX6000, please provide the information below so that we can speed up the whole process and then do further analysis to locate it and figure it out. 

1. The current network diagram. How do you connect these network devices together?

2. The bandwidth you paid for your ISP and the actual speed you can get from the Archer AX6000. Including wired speed and wireless speed. You can show us the screenshots of the speed test results respectively. 

3. Is there any advanced feature you have enabled? 

4. Try to connect one device to the main router by wired cable/wirelessly and test the speed; and you can connect your computer to the modem directly, bypass the router to do a comparative analysis. 

5. Please ensure that the firmware is up to date, and you can change the wireless settings, like wireless channel, channel width. And you can setup QoS as standard and do not enable device priority. 

Thanks for your support and cooperation in advance. Have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-02-27 08:51:24 - last edited 2020-02-27 11:39:24

@Kevin_Z Hi Kevin!!!

I'm sorry but that is not correct (unless the standard QOS in fact disables it).

While QOS in a highly saturated environment will have its benefits (two devices streaming, one torrenting, other making a VOIP call, for instance), it will always take a toll in the up AND down speeds, because, as you kindly pointed out in a previous post, every freaking packet will be captured AND analyzed by the router. Of course there is a speed penalty, how much, that depends entirely in the implementation of QOS.

In several cases (and i'm tempted to say the majority of cases), this has absolutely no practical use (like in my case, i do all of the above, but never at the same time)...

It should always be an optional feature, an, as far as i know, no other company in the world is forcing customers to use QOS... It's a very strange (and very poor) decission from TpLink.

Please let us decide how to use our very very very expensive routers!!!!

Best regards!!!

PS: It may sound silly, but forcing the processor to work harder, also makes it consume more power... now multiply that by several hundred millions routers, and you are provoking big unnecesary power consumption all over the world. You must provide the option to turn it off, even if is it only for the environment sake!!!

PS 2: I don't think that changing the ONT is a "best solution"... simply because it does not depends on the user, it's entirely up to the ISP wether to change it or not (and even if they change it, they might change it by another F660)... TpLink should work in a REAL solution, fixing the incompatibility between the routers and the ONT.

Options
2020-04-03 03:54:44

@Kevin_Z Hi Kevin,

Just got a new AX6000 to replace my very old TL-WR940N v3. Latest firmware installed and very pleased with range and download speed. However, it seems to have the same uplink issue reported by many of us.

My connection is 60/6 Mbps (DL/UP). Tested (Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and wired) both with speedtest.net/Ookla (with different servers) and fast.com and I am getting just ~1/3rd of UL, i.e., 2 Mbps consistently. When connected directly to my ISP modem/router, I get the full contracted speed of 60/6. Tried to turn on and off many of the advanced functions, but no success. Curiously, the speedtest executed within the AX6000 router gives the contracted speed. What the hell is going on? There is clearly a bug with this product and despite being told many times before, it is still unrecognized. Very deceived with TP-Link quality and support.

Options
2020-04-03 08:12:15

@cpanazio 

Have you ever enabled QoS on the Archer AX6000? 

If so, please swipe it out and select standard, do not enter bandwidth. After that, please test the upload speed you can get. 

And what about other devices? 

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-03 19:52:21

@Kevin_Z Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your help. I was already using standard. There is no slide to disable QoS (firmware 1.0.7 Build 20200212 rel. 7095(5553)) and if I try to manually enter total bandwidth and If put nothing it says that the field is required. The figure below is my current configuration (note that the total bandwidth was obtained through the internal speedtest)

Also, I have tried to prioritize the device, but to no avail.

Tried two computers: a notebook connected with 1GbE and a desktop with a wi-fi usb stick. The internal speedtest returned the contracted speed and  the notebook over 1GbE returned (during the morning):

The desktop was reaching 56 Mbps and 2 Mbps, during the night and also got similar results with Ookla speedtest. No other device was using the network during the tests. Tried both the internal speedtest in the ax6000 router and also connected directly to my ISP modem/router and both achieved the contracted speed.

Then, I have found the following page https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/177380  . Following the advice, I disabled the IPv6 and now it is working.

However, I have tried to reenable the IPv6 and it still get good results, so it seems to be not the cause of the issue. I have tried again many times during the day and I have seen some fluctuations, but everytime I have got a lower upload speed, I reapted it to confirm and also connected to my ISP modem/router (a HUMAX) to see if I had the same results. Consistently, in these cases, the ISP modem/router gave better results.

It woud be nice to see a new firmware where we could completely turn off the QoS. I will also check if the mixed a/b/g/n/ac/ax mode has something to do with it, but since my tests with Ethernet are  giving the same result, I am more inclined to say that it has something to do with the QoS. For TP-Link defense, I have not seem yet a real life problem with my usage with regard to the upload speed. I have yet to try to upload huge files to see if it can sustain the speed.

If I discover anything new I will post it here, but it seems quite odd that so many people is having trouble with the upload rate. My old TP-Link 941ND v5 seemed to be more reliable.

Best regards

Options
2020-04-04 06:36:28
Just bought an AX11000 and have similar issues. My internet is 1000/1000 Mbps, but the fastest upload I can get is about between 250-300 Mbps. I can get over 900 Mbps on the download, but upload seems to be capped by something in the firmware.
Options
Related Articles