Wireless connection problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-01 16:05:38 - last edited 2019-09-01 16:12:09
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20190822 rel.26396(5553)

Just purchased an Archer AX6000.  Set up wireless using same SSID and password as previous router, (LINKSYS WRT1900ACS).  All my wireless devices except 2 connected successfully.  My wireless devices include 3 Honeywell WIFI thermostats and one thermostat connected while two did not.  It is interesting to note that I had the exact same experience with an Archer C5400X.  I did extensive troubleshooting on the C5400X with TPLINK support but it was all to no avail. The error message on thermostat was invalid password--notwithstanding that the password was correct. However I did find a work around--I activiated the guest network (in security mode) and the two Honeywell thermostats immediately connected successfully.

So today when the two thermostats didn't connect to the AX6000, again with the invalid password message, I tried the same work around and it worked.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Wireless connection problem
2019-09-01 20:25:53
Did you use the same SSID on the Linksys? By chance, are the two devices that will not connect 2.4 or 5 only ghz? Try deleting/forget the network settings on the two devices and then reestablish them.
Options
Re:Re:Wireless connection problem
2019-09-02 01:32:50

ArcherC8 wrote

Did you use the same SSID on the Linksys?   

yes

ArcherC8 wrote

By chance, are the two devices that will not connect 2.4 or 5 only ghz? 

All three thermostats will only connect to 2.4.  The SSID used by all three thermostats was the SSID for the 2.4 connection.

ArcherC8 wrote

Try deleting/forget the network settings on the two devices and then reestablish them.

I tried that several times.  It did not resolve the problem.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Wireless connection problem
2019-09-02 11:54:27

The next thing I would try is moving the router, turning the router, move the antennas if moveable, changing the height of the router, use different WIFI settings such as a specific channel instead of AUTO,... If you can establish a connection then you know it has to do with the WIFI signal being blocked or interfered. A longshot, does your thermostats have firmware that may be needed to updated?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Wireless connection problem
2019-09-02 14:26:16

ArcherC8 wrote

The next thing I would try is moving the router, turning the router, move the antennas if moveable, changing the height of the router, use different WIFI settings such as a specific channel instead of AUTO,... If you can establish a connection then you know it has to do with the WIFI signal being blocked or interfered. A longshot, does your thermostats have firmware that may be needed to updated?

Because the thermostats connect to the guest network without changing the router position or any settings I don't see how router position, etc, is the issue.

Unfortunately there is no firmware update for the thermostats--but why would it be needed if the thermostats wil connect to the guest network with wireless security activated?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Wireless connection problem
2019-09-02 22:39:48
good point... Could the coverage pattern be different for the guest network? I do not know for sure but would think the guest WIFI would use a different channel than the main WIFI. So I would explore different WIFI settings.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Wireless connection problem
2019-09-03 02:14:50

ArcherC8 wrote

good point... Could the coverage pattern be different for the guest network? I do not know for sure but would think the guest WIFI would use a different channel than the main WIFI. So I would explore different WIFI settings.

Interestingly, there is no option to either view or change the channel in the guest network.  In the regular network the current channel is displayed when auto is selected and there is the option to specify the channel.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Wireless connection problem
2019-09-03 02:43:34

@Bob999 

Thanks for your reply; cause you have the same issue on Archer AX6000 and Archer C5400X both, we can do further analysis and try to figure it out. 

Except the three thermostate, do you have any other wireless devices? Do they have the same issue when connecting to the TP-link wireless network? 

And what are the model numbers of the 3 thermostate? 

Please tell us the current hardware and firmware version of the 2 routers as well.

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Wireless connection problem
2019-09-03 14:53:44

Kevin_Z wrote

@Bob999 

Thanks for your reply; cause you have the same issue on Archer AX6000 and Archer C5400X both, we can do further analysis and try to figure it out. 

I no longer have the C5400X--I returned it because it had other problems.

Kevin_Z wrote

@Bob999 

Except the three thermostate, do you have any other wireless devices? Do they have the same issue when connecting to the TP-link wireless network? 

I have many other wireless devices, Roku, FireTV, Smart phone, Smart TV, Laptop, etc.  All connected to both devices without issue.

Kevin_Z wrote

@Bob999 

And what are the model numbers of the 3 thermostate? 

The Thermostat that connects is RTH8580WF.  The 2 Thermostats that don't connect are TH8320WF.

The AX6000 is V1, Firmware is:   1.0.6 Build 20190822 rel.26396(5553).

While I no longer have the C5400X I can sorta answer the question about hardware and firmware.  Hardware was V1.  For firmware it was first the latest stable version posted on the support site and then later it was a beta version posted by TPLINK in a thread on this site.,

I found the link for the beta firmware in the TP Link SOHO community in a thread labeled "C5400X - Internet Speed issue". 

Re:C5400X - Internet Speed issue

Hello Everyone  

We are happy to annouce a new Beta Frimware for this issue.  This Fimware addresses the speed issue while not affecting the status of your router's homecare features.  You can download the Firmware here:  http://support.tp-link.com/f/3ba5085b7c/?dl=1   Please let us know if it helps or if you have any issues what so ever. 

Options
Re:Wireless connection problem
2020-02-15 20:10:15

@Bob999 Thank you!!! This solution worked!!! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2424

Replies: 9

Related Articles