DECO M5 and TP Link Archer D7 compatability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-14 17:32:38
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi.

I have been spending time trying to set up my system since I was able to go from a flaky 2Mb copper broadband line to a 300Mb fibre cable from Gigaclear. Gigaclear set up their router to a bridge and I eventually successfully ran my Archer D7 in Wireless Router mode. I was able to use all the flexibility of the router for my 2.4 and 5Mhz wireless networks. I live in 100 year old + cottage which has problems in places with wifi reception. So after a lot of research, I chose the DECO M5 units (3 of them) to expand my wireless network.

I have set them up several times now in access mode, following the instructions and reading various comments from the forum. It has made a remarkable improvement to the wifi reception in the cottage. However, my Archer router has become basically a box. No longer can I see any clients in the 2.4 or 5 Mz bands in my router. The DECO only allows 1 network SSID for both frequencies, and when I asked TP Link helpline they said to name it the same as the network SSID of the router - but which one? 

I wanted just to extend my wifi network using my existing wifi router and get the DECO system to piggy back on the top of it, but it seems to have taken over.

Any one got any suggestions whether I can achieve what I want and if so how it might be done?

Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:DECO M5 and TP Link Archer D7 compatability
2019-09-15 23:49:29

If you take a look at this article on the TP-Link site, it says:

"If you want to use Deco along with your existing router, do the following:

Define a different network name (SSID) and password from those of your current network. Running Deco with the same SSID might lead to technical problems.

If possible, turn off your existing router’s Wi-Fi. You will then have a single SSID for your whole network, with minimal wireless interference. This will ensure a reliable internet connection and seamless roaming.

If your router is a combination of a modem & router from your ISP, check with your ISP for instructions on how to turn off its wireless capabilities."

That's what I have done; turned off the Wi-Fi on my existing router and allow the Deco units to serve Wi-Fi throughout the house.

The advice that you got to name the Deco SSID the same as the network SSID of the router works fine if you then switch the router Wi-Fi off; devices will connect to the Deco Wi-Fi because the already have the correct SSID and password.  But you should not leave the router Wi-Fi on too.

Craig

Options
Re:DECO M5 and TP Link Archer D7 compatability
2019-09-16 02:34:11

@1236ken 

You can use the Deco M5 with the Archer D7 together. For the Deco mesh wifi network, there will be one SSID exsited only per you know; The 2.4GHz and 5GHz share the same wireless network name. 

The tech support said to name it the same as the network SSID of the router, the router represents Archer D7.  While cause the Archer D7 does not support mesh, you can name a different wifi name for the Deco network and use the wifi from D7 at the same time, or you can turn off the wifi on D7 and use the Deco wifi mesh network only.

May it help and have a good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3787

Replies: 2

Related Articles