Deco P7 no powerline backhaul indication in app (firmware 1.3.1)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P7 no powerline backhaul indication in app (firmware 1.3.1)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
64 Reply
Re:Deco P7 no powerline backhaul indication in app (firmware 1.3.1)
2019-10-15 07:01:40

@korayus 

So the current network diagram is internet source--Man Deco )))(((second Deco )))((( 3rd Deco, right? 

With your device connected to the 3rd Deco, please click here to verify its IP address and gateway.

In the meantime, please ping the gateway of the main Deco and verify whether it works. 

Besides, it is suggested to exchange their locations  to give it a go; then you can check whether it is related to the specific Deco or the location. 

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-10-15 08:07:16 - last edited 2019-10-15 08:16:21

@Kevin_Z 

Unfortunately, I actually do have a network diagram..... sorry if I'm bursting a bubble.

In a physical sense, the main P7 (downstairs) is in the fusebox next to the staircase. The P7's on the first and second floor are on the corridor; open spaces.

"As you mentioned, the signal is 1/3 bar, once you move it further, the connection will drop out, so we assume that the speed you get from the slave Deco based on the powerline bakchaul."

• That is an incorrect assumption. As you say so yourself - the connection drops out, leaving the P7 with a blinking red LED.

"You can use a normal power adapter without powerline backhaul feature to power up the slave Deco to do a test."

• Please send me one - I only have the """powerline""" ones and no regular USB-C ones.

"Next to the slave Deco, what is the wireless speed you can get from the main Deco downstairs?"

• I get the full speed - 200/200 mbit. Admittely, downstairs works like a charm.

"The speed will be affected by the distance, obstacles and interferences."

• That is only logical and goes without saying.

For fun I did do a test by creating an ethernet backhaul between the main P7 and the one on the first floor. I actually got 200/200 mbit via Wi-Fi on the first floor. Funny right? The powergrid backhaul as advertised delivers an astonishing 600 mbit, meaning the 200/200 mbit is supposed to be pea-nuts. Or..... no, wait. Could it be that the powergrid backhaul is not functioning as advertised?! That it's (only) utilizing the Wi-Fi backhaul instead?!? Hmmm, one comes to wonder!

For a second time of fun, I plugged in DVS-1200 units on the same sockets as where the P7's are. In terms of internet speedtest, I get the full 200/200 mbit, without breaking a sweat. By this, I'm assuming (confirming, actually) the powergrid is functioning properly.

Options
2019-10-15 08:45:24

@kmiel Just to clarify my statement on "no network diagram"in my original post in relationshipo to your drawing. You have drawn the diagram without Powerline connectivity - and this was my point, if the P7 Powerline is working there is no way I can find to find out which P7 is connecting to the other P7's, creating a secondary network. (-;

The lack of tools to let us know what the connectivity between nodes is is frustrating.

And I have done the same experiments as you with Tp-link Powerline adapters getting full speed between them using the same power sockets as my P7's are plugged into.

Tor

Options
2019-10-15 09:21:27 - last edited 2019-10-15 09:36:19

@Tor-Arne Well, I've added this small-dotted line between the P7's that indicates powerline connectivity. Which circuit on the powergrid it really is, I don't know. How the P7's connect to each other is unknown, too. So yes, I fully agree on your statement that is impossible to draw a decent diagram without tools that tell you the required information.

I also fully agree that the lack of information is quite frustrating. Surely it's a good thing to keep things as simple as possible for non-tech customers. However, people with IT/network knowledge simply want (need) more information to fully grasp what's going on. Something the Deco's lack. While I appreciate the help of TP-Link personnel here and certainly can appreciate them not (directly) admitting their product doesn't work or fails (partially) regarding certain features, but they don't give us tools or help in convincing otherwise. By performing multiple tests, it shows that other equipment is able to utilize the powergrid in a decent manner and the P7's simply don't.

My current personal belief is that the P7 doesn't deliver what is being advertized. Unless TP-Link can convince me otherwise, but they can't / don't (up until now). This, to me, comes down to the conclusion that the P7 is bogus in an attempt to get some extra cash from faithful customers.

Options
2019-10-15 18:45:48

@kmiel We are in full agreement - so let me add a bit of information from TP-Links site and documentation :

First - on the standards supported by the PowerLine part of the Deco P7

In particular - notice "Homeplug AV600".

Then look at the following FAQ statement on Powerline adapters :

So in other words the PowerLine functionality of the P7 should be compatible with any other Homeplug AV600 adapters out there, including my other TP-Link plugs, and be discoverable by the standard Powerline tools on the site, which for all other Powerline adapters give me a lot of information on speed and which powerline units are connected to each other - including a network diagram!

Sadly none of these tools can discover the P7's as Powerline adapters or how they are connected, so probably not compliant with the "Homeplug AV standard", as promoted by TP-link.

Or can anyone from TP-link please either tell me that I am worng, or that the documentation on the site is wrong? 

Options
2019-10-16 10:05:48 - last edited 2019-10-16 10:12:13

@Tor-Arne @kmiel 

Thanks for your reply; 

We have noted the information you have provided, while to make us understand better and fix your problem, we would like to follow up your case via email and do further troubleshooting.

If you are willing to do that, please check your inbox, our engineer will email you. 

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-10-16 10:17:02

@Tor-Arne 

The powerline feature on the Deco P7 is used for powerline backhaul only, it cannot pair with other powerline adapters. That is why the tpPLC utility cannot find the Deco P7; The Deco units can be managed by the Deco app only (Some of them support web UI also).

But they can still work together, the Deco P7 acts as a regular wireless router and you can connect the powerline adapters to it to extend the network. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-16 20:15:45

@Kevin_Z I'm willing to talk to your engineers - no problems.

Options
2019-10-17 00:48:20

@Kevin_Z 

I provided this information in Post #9 in this group thread already but I will paste it here again down below. To answer your question our internet speed that we pay for is 200 Mbps which is what the main Deco sees on the Deco app (~277 Mbps). Our negotiated/link speed is 867 Mbps via WiFi or 1 Gbps via ethernet.

When I plug a device/computer to connect via the ethernet of the slave Deco I get the same speed as with the wireless connection to the slave Deco - both of which are less than 50 Mbps just as described in Post #9. The green light is on which should mean more than 50 Mbps, correct?

It looks like some other users in this thread are communicating with the engineers. Can't your support team pleas speak with them as well? This problem seems to be affecting many P7 users.

Kevin_Z wrote

@MeTPForum 

The singal source only indicates wireless/wired, as long as the led turns green on the power adapter, the powerline backhaul should be working. 

The speed you can get from the Deco relates to the bandwidth you paid, the distance and obstacles. The powerline backhaul is to enhance the connection between the Decos then improve the actual speed you can get. 

Who is your internet service provider and what is the bandwidth yuo paid? 

When you connect computer to the slave Deco, please click here to check the wired/wireless negotiation speed. 

Note: The steps to get wired negotiation speed are the same, please click local area connection or ethernet connection. 

Good day.  

Post #9:

Firmware is latest update 1.3.1

On Deco App download internet speed test to main Deco = 277 Mbps

My laptop and phone are sitting next to a slave Deco P7 with Green light (implying powerline backhauld > 50 Mbps at minimum).

Laptop (slave Deco P7 link Speed 867 Mbps) internet Speed = 19.4 Mbps

Phone is the same distance internet Speed = 17.4 Mbps

This implies that though the GREEN LED is lit, our network is not getting the powerline > 50 Mbps per second hence the green indicator light is wrong and probably should be RED.

Is the Green LED displayed in error based on the above?

Options
2019-10-17 06:31:57
50Mbps stands for link speed, so throughput may be lower.
Options
Related Articles