Deco M9 Plus and Vodafone Power Station issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-18 07:57:53 - last edited 2019-09-18 16:35:09
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

hi

beginning of August I switched to a new ISP and a 1GB fiber connection (from a 100MB one with old ISP)

I'm having, since, a weird issue with my Deco M9 Plus connected to ISP's Vodafone Power Station (I believe it's a Huawei): 1GB connection drops to 90MB every couple of days 

Unplugging/replugging the ethernet cable that connects Deco to Power Station fixes it then, a couple of days later...

looks Deco's (or Station's: no idea which one) ethernet port (re)negotiates a 100MB connection instead of Gigabit after a couple of days

A couple of weeks ago my ISP replaced the Power Station with a brand new one but the issue is still there

Ideas? crying

thanks

Options
16 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus and Vodafone Power Station issues
2019-09-19 01:08:03

@pl_svn 

It seems that the negotiation speed drops down to the 100mbps, not the gigabit which causes the reduction of the actual speed. 

We will do some troubleshooting to locate this issue and try to fix it. 

When the speed drops to 90Mbps, please connect your computer to the Deco and the power station by wired cable and click here to check the wired negotiation speed.

Note: The steps are the same, while you need right click on local area connection or ethernet connection. 

Then try to run a speed test on the Deco app and show us the screenshot of the result.

Besides, if possible, it is suggested to check the negotiation speed of the LAN port on the power station  which connects to the Deco directly. 

And it is suggested to change another ethernet cable to connect them together, like cat5e or above.

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-19 08:17:05

@Kevin_Z 

MacBook Pro, here, and no ethernet ports. not sure the USB C-Ethernet adapter I bought truly is 1GB but... will get an original Apple one and try

what I can add, in the while, is... ethernet cable I'm using is Cat. 7 ;) and I already tried connecting the M9 to different ethernet ports on the Power Station but always got the same result (speed drops)

I even tried connecting the M9 directly to the Huawei ONT (Model HG8M8010HG01) with no Power Station in-between (I actually only need it for the telephone line) but... also this way I was having connection drops to 90Mb after a while

thinking of it... might try:

- changing ethernet port on the M9 (at present one goes to the Power Station, one to a TP-Link T2500G-10TS(UN) Ver. 1.0 switch)

- using another M9 unit (got three) as main router

- using TP-Link MC210CS v2.23 (got a couple) between M9 and Power Station. this should force a GB connection, right?

- or... what about using those MCs to connect both M9 and Power Station to switch' SFP ports? (also have a couple of TP-Link TL-SM311LS(UN) v3.0)

Options
2019-09-20 08:26:41

@pl_svn 

Thanks for your reply.

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

When the speed from Deco drops down to 90Mbps, please connect your computer to the Huawei modem or power station directly and click here to check the wired negotiation speed.

Note: The steps are the same, while you need right click on ethernet connection or local area connection. 

Besides, you can give them a go as mentioned on your last reply. And the MC210CS has the gigabit ethernet port. 

Any updates, please let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
2019-09-20 08:42:22 - last edited 2019-09-20 08:43:15

@Kevin_Z 

Outside World --FTTH--> Huawei ONT --eth--> Vodafone Power Station --eth--> Deco M9 Plus --eth--> TP-Link T2500G-10TS switch --eth/fiber SFP--> other stuff (including another M9 two floors below)

nothing else but Deco M9 connects to the Power Station which is set to do Static NAT on Deco's IP (as I said... actually only need ISP's router for the telephone line)

Power Station's wi-fi is OFF

beginning of 2nd day since last speed drop. all still working at Gb speed. we'll see tonight/tomorrow if it drops again :nervous:

will keep you posted

Options
2019-09-22 14:47:20 - last edited 2019-09-22 16:29:13

ok... two days later here we are again: speed dropped to 90MB

disconnecting/reconnecting the Cat7 ethernet cable between Deco M9 and Vodafone Power Station fixes everything and I'm back to full GB (800+MB, actually)

definitely a (re)negotiation issue between the two

no idea why it always happens every two days

as I said... already had my ISP replace its modem/router to no avail

so... best way (faster and painless = no reconfiguration) to swap main Deco with another unit, please? :)

Options
2019-09-23 10:35:15

@pl_svn 

Thanks for your updates. 

When the speed from Deco drops down to 90Mbps, please connect your computer to the main Deco by wired cable and verify the wired negotiation speed.  Instruction as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Meanwhile, please disconnect the Deco from the power station and connect it to the computer instead, then please run a speed test on your PC to check the speed you can get from the power station directly and test the negotiation speed together. 

Besides, you can swap the locations of the different Deco units; if possible, you can remove the power station and setup Deco M9 plus as the main router and check whether it works. 

Or you can change another ethernet cable. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-23 11:01:38

@Kevin_Z 

- "When the speed from Deco drops down to 90Mbps, please connect your computer to the main Deco by wired cable"

... disconnecting Deco from the Power Sation or from the switch (and rest of the network? (Deco only has two ethernet ports)

also... I'm not sure the USB-C/Ethernet adapter I have to use actually is Gigabit as it should

- "disconnect the Deco from the power station and connect it to the computer instead, then please run a speed test on your PC to check the speed you can get from the power station directly and test the negotiation speed together."

already done that (just... using Power Station's wi-fi, not ethernet) and... I get GB speed

- "you can swap the locations of the different Deco units; if possible, you can remove the power station and setup Deco M9 plus as the main router and check whether it works."

sure but... how do I set another unit as "Main" without having to re-configure "everything"? :|

Options
2019-09-24 07:53:11 - last edited 2019-09-24 09:27:59

@Kevin_Z 

ok... this morning I found speed dropped to 90Mb once more so did some tests:

- wired ethernet connection Computer/Deco -> 10Mb
- wired ethermet connection Computer/ Vodafone Power Station -> 100Mb
- wired ethernet connection Computer/TP-Link switch -> 1Gb

(... at least now I'm sure this USB C/ethernet adapter actually is 1Gb)

these tests were performed using a different ethernet cable (Cat7 this one too), not the same one that connects Deco to Power Station

also: when connecting to the switch, link becomes active almost immediately (negotiation takes fractions of a sec), when connecting to either Deco or Power Station instead... it takes 15+ seconds :-|

then, after performing these tests, I reconnected Deco to Power Sation and... as usual speed went back to 1Gb

Options
2019-09-25 08:27:57

@pl_svn 

1. When the speed from Deco drops down to 90mbps, connect PC--Deco M9 plus--power station to check the actual wired speed and wired negotiation speed. 

2. Cause the Deco connected to the power station by wired cable, we need connect your computer to it by cable as well, then please test the actual speed. 

Note: Please use the same cable which is used to connect the power station and Deco. 

3. You can refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/ to change slave Deco to main Deco.

4. From the tests results mentioned, the speed you get from the power station is 100Mbps and 10Mbps from Deco, at that time, please verify the wired negotiation speed of your computer. 

5. Try to remove the power station and connect the Deco M9 plus to the Huawei ONT box directly to check its performance. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-25 08:50:58 - last edited 2019-09-25 08:51:34

@Kevin_Z 

4. 10MB to Deco and 100Mb to Power Station are the wired negotiated speeds between computer/Deco and computer/Power Station

5. already tried this and... speed drops to 90Mb after a while (maybe more than just a couple of days)

later will try swapping Main Deco with a slave one and... we'll see

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2941

Replies: 16