Deco M5 - automation rules are faulty

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-18 19:51:07
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20190617

I have a problem with automation rules triggered by network devices. It deosnt work propertly. On my Deco M5 (EU/2.0) i have two rules to manage HS100 plugs.

Rule 1 "HS_disable"
Trigger: 2 network devices selected, Triggered by all devices, When devices are Disconnected
Action: Plugs off

Rule 2 "HS_enable"
Trigger: 2 network devices selected, Triggered by any device, When devices are Connected
Action: Plugs on

Selected devices are two cellfones.
The goal is: when me and wife are away from home the plugs should be disabled, but when any of us are in home the plugs should be enabled.

Scenario 1:
- we both are leaving, and plugs are disabled - thats ok
- my wife going back to home - plugs are enabled - thats ok
- im back to home - nothing happen - thats ok
- im leaving home, and wife stays in home - nothing happen - thats ok
- im back to home - nothing happen - thats ok

Scenario 2:
- we both are leaving, and plugs are disabled - thats ok
- my wife going back to home - plugs are enabled - thats ok
- my wife is leaving, nothing happen, plugs are still enabled - thats wrong!!

Scenario 3:
- im leaving and wife stays in home, nothing happen, plugs are still enabled - thats ok
- my wife is leaving - plugs are disabled - thats ok
- im going back to home - plugs are enabled - thats ok
- im leaving, nothing happen, plugs are still enabled - thats wrong!!
- my wife going back to home - plugs are still enabled - they should be disabled in recent step and be re-enabled at this point
- my wife is leaving - plugs are disabled - thats ok, but but some time earlier second device where also triggered when i leaved home.

As you see the trigger by all devices doesnt check state of connection of all selected devices, but it is triggered by change of connection state, and to propertly run action it need to be triggered by all selected devices in this rule. If only one of devices change state but all other devices are disconnected - it doesnt work.

Options
17 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - automation rules are faulty
2019-09-19 08:28:28

@K4mil3k 

What is the firmware version of the HS100? 

For step3 in scenario 2, please try to disconnect the Deco wifi on your wife's smart phone and turn on the cellular data, at that time, please verify whether the plug will be turned off.

Similarily, please repeat the procedure mentioined above at step 4 on Scenario 3. 

Besides, you can try to delete the HS100 and re-add it to the Deco network to give it a shot.

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-19 13:56:26 - last edited 2019-09-19 13:57:14

@Kevin_Z 

All tests mentioned in my first post was made without leaving home - looking on HS100. I have do this by setting my and my wife's cells wifi connection "on" and "off" - to simulate those three scenarios. I was also looking in Deco App in third device - to see when devices was online and offline and wait some time after that, but action didnt run.

Both my HS100 are: HW: 2.0, Fw: 1.5.4

Options
2019-09-19 14:54:03

@Kevin_Z

Both HS100 was removed and re-added, after that i was trying to simulate scenario 1, and nothing changed. Still not working when only one of selected devices connected to network (plugs where on, thats ok) and after a while this device was disconnected and plugs didnt off (wifes cell is away home at this moment).

Also automation rules needs to be re-created because after removing HS100 - previous rules dissapired.

On HS100 Boxes on label i see: Model: HS100(EU) Ver:3.1

Options
2019-09-20 03:02:14

@K4mil3k 

Hello, I checked some datasheet and confirmed with our engineer, the current situation is normal.

As the definition of trigger, it is "an event or circumstance that is the cause of a particular actionprocessor situation". For the automation rules, the 2 smart phone need disconnect from the Deco network both to trigger the action, the trigger should be an instant move which is disconnecting from network in this case, not the status being disconnected. 

That is why the HS100 does not turn it off when your wife's phone got disconnected from the network with your smart phone being disconnected at that time.

Wish I make myself clear. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-20 06:29:16 - last edited 2019-09-20 06:40:16

@Kevin_Z Thx for reply, but thats not good. Are there any plans to change it to work better ?

If your R&D could add additional tab "conditions" to automations rules in future release of Deco update, thats will be great, on example:

- Time settings

- Triggers

- Conditions

- Action

- Name

In conditions you could check current states of devices (similar to Triggers: smart devices, network devices, etc). And on example a working rule "HS_disable" could look like this:

- Time settings: always

- Triggers: Two phones selected, triggered by any device, when disconnected

- Conditions: Two phones selected, all of them, state is disconnected

- Action: disable plugs

- Name: HS_disable

Second situation in which it would be helpful are messages in which the router asks whether to disable the rule because it is executed too often. Look at my first rule "HS_enable". Even when we are at home, but e.g. the wife often moves around the garden,  every time her phone gets in range, deco tries to run a rule. This rule could look like this:

- Time settings: always

- Triggers: Two phones selected, triggered by any device, when connected

- Conditions: Two plugs selected, all of them, state is off

- Action: enable plugs

- Name: HS_enable

The rules could work as now, triggered by selected trigger, but if conditions are not met, action will not be launched. Maybe in future releases you could even add logical operators to conditions (XOR, AND, OR, etc..), but now a simple conditions thats looks similat to triggers, will significantly increase automation capabilities and will gets yours product to higher level.

If you could confirm if this feature will be in future releases or not, that will be great. I want to know what to do with my Deco and Kasa devices - to give them back, or wait, because it does not meet my requirements in current situation.

Options
2019-09-20 07:32:23 - last edited 2019-09-20 07:36:02

@Kevin_Z Even yesterday i had a strange situation with automation rules, i will write you timeline of day:

8:00 AM - im leaving home, wife stays, plugs stays enabled

4:00 PM - im back to home, wife still in home, plugs stays enabled, triggered automation rule "HS_enabled" runs

After going back to home, i have removed them from Deco network, and re-added and re-created rules as you wrote me in your recent messages.

6:30 PM - im leaving home, wife stays in home, plugs stays enabled

7:10 PM - im back to home, wife stays in home, plugs stays enabled, triggered automation rule "HS_enabled" runs

9:00 PM - we are in home, wife turn off phone on night, my phone still connected, plugs are disabled

As you see, rule have been triggered by two actions, 1st device from selected on 6:30PM, and 2nd device from selected on 9:00PM.

Its not normaly expected action. Additional conditions could be a great solution for this, and many others situations.

Options
2019-09-20 14:11:58 - last edited 2019-09-20 14:48:25

@Kevin_Z Below some todays log. I leave home at 7:33am and back at 8:49am. Wife was at home alk time. Then i leave at 10:05am, and wife leave at 10:24am.

I came back at 2:54pm. As you see, additional conditions will be cery helpfull.

I wonder what was going at night and morning where we was at home. I think that HS_on rule was triggered everytime when her phone has switched between Decos (iPhone 7).  

Options
2019-09-27 06:44:26

@Kevin_Z Can you answer to my posts about additional conditions ?

Options
2019-09-27 11:44:08 - last edited 2019-09-27 11:44:57

@K4mil3k 

First, thanks for your suggestion, we have noted that and will pass to our R&D colleagues and they can work on it.

While I have to say, it will take time to release a new feature or improve it.

For the timeline you mentioned, actually it is normal. Not a bug.

The device will record the trigger happened; At first, you left home and it was an instant action, which had been remembered by the HD_Disable automation rule, then when you came back, cause your wife was in home already, the HS_Enable rule won't be triggered and it is still turned on, but once your wife disconnected from the Deco network, plus the disconnection of your device earlier, there would be 2 disconnection actions stored, which triggered the HS_Disable rule, that is why the HS turned it off even though you are still connected.

The automation rules won't affect each other.

Wish I make myself clear.

Options
2019-09-27 11:55:43 - last edited 2019-09-27 11:56:07

@Kevin_Z Yes, you make clear. I understand the current state completely. That's the idea the creators had, and that's how it works now.

It's great to hear that the "conditions" suggestion will be forwarded to developers, and I have nothing to do but wait for the future updates.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2315

Replies: 17