Wi-Fi Hotspot with TL-WR841N(TPD)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-22 09:49:49
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V11
Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 150616 Rel.52099n

I have access to a WLAN of which I am not administrator. Because of the weak signal I am trying to use my TL-WR841N for a Wi-Fi hotspot. My computer is connected to the WLAN via a Wi-Fi-Stick and to the TP-Link via LAN cabel. Now I need to establish an Internet connection for the router via computer. In the router configuration I tried WAN with Dynamic IP and Static IP, yet it never got the connection to the internet. Dynamic IP fails(stops after a half minute without results) at "obtaining network parameters". For static IP I used the IP Adress, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and Primary DNS from the network connection details of my computers WLAN connection. Oddly Default Gateway and Primary DNS are the same and the Subnet Mask looks like a dummy: 255.255.255.0 (I am not an expert with these network things).

What is wrong or is this plan possible at all? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wi-Fi Hotspot with TL-WR841N(TPD)
2019-09-22 17:01:16
Hello, If I well understand it, the main problem is currently on the computer side. You should setup internet sharing via Ethernet to the router. I don't know your OS type or version so, you perhaps could search how to do. Here is an example for Windows 7 : http://www.countrymilewifi.com/how-to-share-computers-wifi-with-ethernet-devices.aspx
Options
2019-09-23 03:48:01

@Name_Screen 

How do you want make this TL-WR841N work? 

If you want to configure it as a wireless router with dynamic IP, with the router connected to the internet source, it should obtain valid IP address and gateway/subnet mask from it, while generally speaking, PC cannot assign IP for the connected device;

While if there is an existing wifi hotspot, you can connect the router to it to extend the wifi range. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/227/ 

Note: The actual performance is related to the actual network environment.

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-23 19:19:59

@Kevin_Z 

It works. Just had to configurate the router accordingly. Thank you so much!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2905

Replies: 3