Global IPv6 address within LAN are not reachable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-25 13:29:45 - last edited 2019-09-25 13:43:06
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have connected my new rotuer to a Shaw Blue Curve router which is operating in bridge mode.

The router has a   Dynamic IPv6 address on the WAN side and also an IPv6 address on the LAN side.   Both of these addresses are reachable from the outside world. I tested this with online traceroute6 and ping utilities. 

My computers within the LAN do have IPv6 addresses and they can connect to IPv6 only test websites that recognize the IPv6 address of the individual computer, however these address are completely unreachable using the same utilities that I mentioned above.  I tried disabling the SPI firewall of the router as well as the firewall on each laptop with no success..   Also I have tried static IPv6 addresses within in the LAN using the EUI-64 scheme which did not work.

Any help on this would be appreaciated.  

EDIT: When attempting a traceroute6 to a machine on the LAN, I can see hops reach up to the Global LAN IPv6 address, then every other hop just times out... Even if I set it for maximum 50 hops.. It took about 11 hops to reach my router, but after that, all hops up to the 50 timed out.  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Global IPv6 address within LAN are not reachable
2019-09-26 06:32:45

@NoorezK 

May I know who is your internet service provider?

Please access the web UI and show us a screenshot of the advanced-status page.

How does the router get IPv6 address? Via DHCPV6 or SLAAC?

With computer connected to the Archer C4000, please click here to get the IP address and gateway and send a screenshot to us. 

Besides, as you mentioned that those utilities are not available, including ping, traceroute; please show us a picture of the test results. 

Thanks in advance, and have a good day. 

Options
2019-09-27 00:42:59 - last edited 2019-09-27 01:37:27

@Kevin_Z 

May I know who is your internet service provider? 

Shaw

Please access the web UI and show us a screenshot of the advanced-status page.

How does the router get IPv6 address? Via DHCPV6 or SLAAC?

---- The setting is for Dynamic IP 

With computer connected to the Archer C4000, please click here to get the IP address and gateway and send a screenshot to us. 

Besides, as you mentioned that those utilities are not available, including ping, traceroute; please show us a picture of the test results. 

Options
2019-09-27 13:03:45 - last edited 2019-09-27 13:07:23

@NoorezK 

The tracerotue output is not quite clear.https://www.ultratools.com/tools/traceRoute6

The traceroute will complete for 11 hops with both the WAN and LAN address of the router. However, for the local machine, it will reach the router at hop number 11, but then the tool will continue for the remainder of the hops (I set it to 50), all of them timing out.

I did also disable the firewall of my local machine so it should have resonded.

EDIT: A quick look at the last hop before the timeouts occured show that it reached the  '2604:3d08' which is for the WAN address but did not reach '2604:3d09' which is the LAN address for the router. However a traceroute6 (or even a ping6) to the LAN address directly will work as expected.

Options
2019-10-09 15:06:34

@NoorezK bump...

any word on this?

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1887

Replies: 4