slow TP-Link M9 Plus mesh network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-25 13:59:23 - last edited 2019-09-25 17:23:07
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 2019043 Rel. 43515

I have 5 TP-link M9 Plus units around the house and setup a wifi mesh network with the main Deco unit acting as a router connected over ethernet to my ISP's cable modem. The units are communicating wirelessly.

Lately, I have performance issues from all (no exception) wifi clients. Downloading is much slower than it should be.  I should be having more than 400 Mbps downstream (I have a 500 Mbps connection), but I'm only getting about 170 Mbps. I've tried with a Windows 10 laptop, two Macbook Pro 2013 and 2019 and an iPhone. Different speed-test websites or apps, all report circa 170 Mbps on all devices, no matter to which unit the device is connected.

So I've disabled Fast Roaming and Beamforming.  I'm not using Ipv6, VLAN, IPTV or MAC Clone. Also no Port Forwarding, Address Reservations, DDNS or SIP ALG. Everything is pretty much default and operating mode is set to 'Router'. I checked the Firmware but all units have the latest version. I rebooted all m9 units and rebooted all the wifi clients. Nothing has helped. Max download speed remains about 170 Mbps. When I do a "Test Internet Speed" from the main M9 unit to the cable modem/internet (these two are naturally connected over Ethernet), the download speed is exactly what my ISP had promised: almost 500 Mbps.

When I connect my laptop to the main unit using Ethernet,  I still(!) only have around 170 Mbps, so it's not specifically a wifi issue. I also disabled 2.4Ghz so I'm sure that they all connect over 5Ghz but this didn't change anything either.

I'm out of ideas.

Options
2 Reply
Re:slow TP-Link M9 Plus mesh network
2019-09-26 02:11:15

@krisvdvijver 

Please connect your computer to the ISP cable modem directly and test the wired speed you can get; and please click here to get the wired negotiation speed. 

Note: The steps are the same, please click local area connection or ethernet connection.

Connect as PC--main Deco--ISP cable modem, and go to www.speedtest.net to test the speed and check the wired link speed again on your PC.

Please set QoS-application priority as standard and clear all the high priority rules. 

Please disable anti-virus feature as well.

Besides, you can swap the location of the Deco units; how  to configure slave Deco as main Deco, please refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

May it help and have a good day. 

Options
Re:slow TP-Link M9 Plus mesh network
2019-09-26 09:29:40

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit confused by this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3w2o538i9p0mrjp/Capture.JPG

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1210