Archer C6 EU OneMesh update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C6 EU OneMesh update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
68 Reply
Re:Archer C6 EU OneMesh update
2021-02-05 20:42:58

@adios , unfortunately I care about WPA3, not mesh.

I will probably switch to OpenWRT. I didn't want because it is owned by other people. But seems like the proper way forward. Thank you for the feedback about OpenWRT

Options
2021-02-06 17:45:46

@akostadinov Why do you need wpa3? are you in a dangerous environment? are the resto of your devices ready for wpa3? Most "compatible" devices aren't really fully compatible. WPA2 with a short key rotation (2 hours, for example) is still very secure. You may also get your wifi power a bit lower to prevent its signal going out your home or office.

Options
2021-02-07 14:52:24

@adios , what does it mean dangerous environment? You don't know where is dangerous and where it isn't. Any densely populated area is potentially dangerous. My most important devices support WPA3 (android 10 and Linux). Unfortunately Windows depends on wifi drivers and there is one in the network without WPA3. Shall I wait until WPA2 becomes fully inadequate?

I expect any new devices I add to support and use WPA3. It is not so hard.

Overall the stock firmware is very lame. Relatively easy to configure for the 2 most common use cases. Non-intuitive, limited and unreliable for any other.

I took the device trying to improve network in the place where I spend my PTO (later I will find another use as it is not very useful here so far). The device didn't work better than the old TP-Link N-router they have here. So I configured it as a wi-fi extender. It behaves a little strange with the connection dropping from time to time. I don't care to investigate. At home I'll install OpenWRT and see if it will be stable.

Recommendation to Tp-link: see Ubiquity's firmwares. Otherwise your routers are only good when they support OpenWRT.

Options
2021-02-07 18:23:42

@akostadinov If most of your devices support wpa3, they seems to be modern and/or expensive. Try a recent Asus router. They are no expensive and have wpa3 included. I use my C6 as a wifi bridge for a nas, but my main router is now a XT8 from Asus, with wpa3 and wifi6 (although no one of my devices support it yet). I was only lookjing for a stable router. C6 was stable until the firm that added mesh. When I saw no solution for months, I bought the XT8. I use routers for long, so I try to buy "good" ones that last years with periodic firm updates. C6 was a big error. Hardware was good, but firmware not.

(with "dangerous" I meant that, heavy wifi use environment)

Options
2021-02-10 21:45:16

@adios , Yeah, C6 firmware is total crap and abandonware. Unfortunately using OpenWRT seems to degrate Wi-Fi performance [1] so also not very useful. I gave up using as wi-fi extender as it was not stable with stock firmware. Don't even want to try using as main router. Perhaps I put it on sale cheap. It was big loss of time :

[1] https://forum.openwrt.org/t/5ghz-low-performance-on-tp-link-archer-c6-v2/73107/17

Options
2021-02-11 15:36:14

Very disappointed that the WPA3 update is only available for the US and Taiwan variants of the C6. All other TP Link routers in their WPA3 compatibility list support it regardless of region. Why is it different with the C6 v2?

Options
2021-03-13 03:11:01

@netcrypt9119 

I called tp link India customer support for the same(Eu version 2.0) and he said that it is the last version(v1.3.6) update to archer c6, it won't receive further updates. What a bummer:(

Options
2021-03-16 08:21:04

@Chirag_khurana 

Do I understand well? They leave us with beta 1.3.6, in which it is possible to disable this crappy Mesh and stable firmware will not come out with this option? For months I have been checking for new software almost every day
Options
Related Articles