Archer T4U 1200AC disconnecting at high speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-03 14:26:53 - last edited 2021-03-23 03:48:56
Model: Archer T4U  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I'm having some disconnecting problems with my TP-Link wifi adapter (Archer T4U 1200 AC) when reaching high download speeds.

So basically I have purchased one about 11 months ago. At first use I already noticed that when downloading at high speeds (+/- 8MB/s and higher) my internet would just cancel out, disconnect or what else you want to call it. Therefor I have always limited my download speed to 5 MB/sec and it would not give me problems anymore. And if it did accidentally download faster, I always had to manually fix it by disconnecting and reconnecting to my router and it would work again.

Now since I upgraded my internet to a 500 mbit download speed I am getting the same problem with it while working (browsing) with spotify on the background.

I have already concluded that this problem is not caused by my router as other devices (5 people, 3 smart tv's, 4 laptops and alot of smartphones) are not having any similar problems.

I have already tried the following:

1. upgrading the firmware

2. tried other USB ports (2.0 and 3.0)

3. use it with and without extension cable

Does this issue sound familiar to anyone or is anyone able to help me out on this? I know it's a ''cheap'' option to buy a new one but I'm more of a try to fix it person :)

Edit: I'm also in close range of my router (~2 meters)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer T4U 1200AC disconnecting at high speeds-Solution
2020-02-16 14:33:28 - last edited 2021-03-23 03:48:56

@Mauritz 

OK, so I'll describe one issue that I just solve that maybe is the culprit of all this mess.

Short version: make sure your device driver provider on Device-manager -> Properties -> driver -> is TP-Link Technologies

Long version

If you suffer from device disconnections and if you are able to replicate it, do it with the device manager open and click GENERAL on the TP link device. The device status will tell what is happening. I discovered two things on the adapter properties with this experiment:

1 - Windows was actually uninstalling the device and installing it again

2 - After that the DRIVER PROVIDER was Microsoft not TPLINK. Reinstalling the TPLINK driver was actually going back to the windows driver.

So, I tried to unistall the driver from microsoft and did not work on the first try, the driver was liked to c:/windows/system32/drivers/rtwlanu.sys. I moved that file to my desktop and forced the installation of the TPLink's driver from the device manager. For me, that file that I moved (rtwlanu.sys) was now installed by TP-Link's driver, it has a different size and on its properties now has a digital signature. I have never mess with that file before in my system.

Now I'm trying to make the device fails, but so far nada. All good in 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Recommended Solution
Options
20 Reply
Re:Archer T4U 1200AC disconnecting at high speeds
2019-10-09 05:59:54

@Mauritz 

We will do some troubleshooting first to locate the issue and try to fix it. 

What is the operating system of your computer?

What about the wireless signal strength? How far away does it from the main router?

How often it drops out the connection? Did it still connect to the host wifi but no internet or it lost wireless connection at all?

How did you install the driver? Use the CD or download the driver from the official website. You can reinstall the driver and give it a go.

Besides, if possible, we suggest you to change another computer to do a comparison analysis.
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2241/

Have a great day.

Options
2019-10-09 18:15:16

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, thank you for your reply.

I'm using windows 10 education 64 bit. Wifi strength is 5/5 bars on a max of 2 meter distance with a thin wooden floor inbetween (300 mbps shown on adapter properties).

The connection only drops under high load like downloading or while multitasking. For instance, I was watching netflix just now and at the beginning of every episode (highest internet usage in the process) my internet vanishes. I must say, at the same time I was browsing something for my work/study. Sometimes I'm also doing a little research and open a few links in new tabs of my browser simultaneously, this also causes disconnection.

When I disconnect it does show I'm connected to the router but it says ''no internet'' after about ten seconds of having my browser tell me I'm disconnected from the internet. 

When I restart, I manually click ''disconnect'' and ''connect'' on my router at the ''available networks'' on the right bottom corner of my screen and it is back. However, when I'm simply browsing websites slowly and ''singletask'' or do stuff other than youtube and other internet consuming apps/sites it stays stable.

I tried alot of different solutions last week, including;

1. Installing windows updates
  2. Installing the latest TP-link driver (from CD as well as download link provided by the TP-Link support team)
  3. Installing/updating my PC hardware drivers 
  4. Trying on different PC's (at my work office)
  5. Different USB ports

For help I contacted the TP-Link support team in Holland but they gave up and advised me to return the product to the store I bought it from.

I also had my bestfriend and experienced IT guy take a look but he couldn't solve my problem either.

As it's not a too expensive product, I'm not going to return and instead buy a different USB adapter if I don't get this one to work soon.  

Options
2019-11-15 13:49:53

@Mauritz Hello, i have the same problem on archer t3u.

Did you resolved your problem? And how?

Mauritz wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, thank you for your reply.

I'm using windows 10 education 64 bit. Wifi strength is 5/5 bars on a max of 2 meter distance with a thin wooden floor inbetween (300 mbps shown on adapter properties).

The connection only drops under high load like downloading or while multitasking. For instance, I was watching netflix just now and at the beginning of every episode (highest internet usage in the process) my internet vanishes. I must say, at the same time I was browsing something for my work/study. Sometimes I'm also doing a little research and open a few links in new tabs of my browser simultaneously, this also causes disconnection.

When I disconnect it does show I'm connected to the router but it says ''no internet'' after about ten seconds of having my browser tell me I'm disconnected from the internet. 

When I restart, I manually click ''disconnect'' and ''connect'' on my router at the ''available networks'' on the right bottom corner of my screen and it is back. However, when I'm simply browsing websites slowly and ''singletask'' or do stuff other than youtube and other internet consuming apps/sites it stays stable.

I tried alot of different solutions last week, including;

1. Installing windows updates
  2. Installing the latest TP-link driver (from CD as well as download link provided by the TP-Link support team)
  3. Installing/updating my PC hardware drivers 
  4. Trying on different PC's (at my work office)
  5. Different USB ports

For help I contacted the TP-Link support team in Holland but they gave up and advised me to return the product to the store I bought it from.

I also had my bestfriend and experienced IT guy take a look but he couldn't solve my problem either.

As it's not a too expensive product, I'm not going to return and instead buy a different USB adapter if I don't get this one to work soon.  

Options
2019-11-15 14:00:15 - last edited 2021-03-23 03:46:48

@Hayzech 

Hi,

I've had some people take a look at it, including experienced IT/Tech guys, without a positive result.

I had entered a ticket but the only solution according to the support team was to send it back to where I bought it from. 

I replied to them that that would be a waste since it's a relatively cheap product. Sending it back and retrieving would cost me more money worth of time than buying a new adapter, in addition to the fact that I can't miss a day without internet due to my work and study at home. 

Then they repeated their previous answer and I just threw it away and bought a different one.

I'm sorry I can't help you!

Options
2019-11-15 14:08:49

@Mauritz sorry to hear that. Do you have windows 10 home too? I'm trying to use another windows version... hope this works.

Options
2019-11-15 14:37:38

@Hayzech 

Hi Hayzech, I've used it on windows 10 pro and windows 10 education as far as I know.

I've tried it on different pcs as well.

I hope you find a solution and if you do, please share it to help other people! 

Options
2019-12-07 12:24:04

Im in the same situation.

Practical example, downloading from blizzard COD modern warfare at high speed > 10MB/s just takes a couple minutes and the connection drops. I have the JPN v3 version (I live in Jpn).

Options
2019-12-07 21:19:05

@L4nz Today i realized that the archer adapter is overheating in my computer. After 5 minutes at 12mb/s it's stop working. Maybe the overheat is the issue on archers adapters?

Options
2019-12-08 16:40:14 - last edited 2019-12-08 16:42:03

Can be, however, I limit my router with qos to be 75mbps and after downloading 12gb it disconnected. This was over a lapse of 2 hours, then the connection was stable for 7 hours (doing nothing). So this means that when the device is with load and/or temperature it fails. This is really a complicated device.

Options
2019-12-09 22:40:09

@L4nz @Mauritz Hello

Did you guys buy a new one adapter? Which one? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7887

Replies: 20