Deco M9 and virgin hub3 WiFi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-05 09:39:46
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version:

Hi totally new to this mesh thing.  I set up my deco M9 x 3 connected via cable to virgin hub3 (on 350mbps contract).  Switched hub3 to modem mode and all working but now I’m only getting 75mbps wireless on all 3 decos.   Hub was delivering 300 in the room where it is situated.  Have I done something wrong?  Why would the speed have dropped off so much in a room where I was previously getting a great speed?  I’m in an old house with thick walls

and wondered if I should be switching hub3 back to router mode?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M9 and virgin hub3 WiFi speeds
2019-10-10 02:03:25

@Mcdryburn 

Hi,

What is the current network topology/layout? 

With your device connected to the Deco wifi network, please check the wireless link speed as the instruction below: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Please connect your computer to the main deco and test the speed you can get from it by ethernet cable and check the wired link speed as well.
Note: Please show us a screenshot of the speed test result.

Try to run a speed test on the Deco app and show us the test result. 

Have a great day.

Options
2019-10-10 10:49:35
I'm leary of the modem mode, why don't you simply just disable the VM wifi and leave your LAN ports active and just use one for the Deco then see the speed you're getting. I had issues when I switched to modem only, so did that approach and all was well (only 110 Mb set up for me though)
Options
2019-11-08 18:26:17

@tgo I found a similar thing. M9s work beautifully with SuperHub in router mode and just plugging into one of the ports. Putting the hub into modem mode screwed things up, so have just turned off the virgin wifi. 

I guess the question I am left with is: is there any great disadvantage to this set up?...

Options
2019-11-08 19:18:38 - last edited 2019-11-08 19:22:05

@FunkyOtter 

I've been running just fine for the last month or so  with just the Deco Wi-Fi active, I just felt it stopped any confusion/congestion and to be honest the Virgin Wi-Fi signal is so crap that it was the reason I got the Deco to start with... I don't suppose it would hurt to have both running, I just liked the neatness of having the one (Deco Wi-Fi) running.

Although because of Chromecast/steaming issues, I did get a small 4 port switch and made sure I plugged everythnig wired into that (with the switch connected to the Deco ethernet port) so in effect ALL devices were running on the Deco rather than just wireless stuff and wired on Virgin as it caused issues with having some devices on the VM network  and others on the Deco so for me. EVERYTHING goes through the Deco only.

Options
2019-11-08 19:22:00

@tgo Yes that was my feeling. Everything I have read says trying to hook up the M9 with the superhub as a modem is a nightmare. A friend of mine works for AWS and straight out said don't bother with that. The only challenge i now have is IP addresses: the Deco issues them in a different range to the superhub. I experimented with turning off the DHCP on the superhub (my mate thought that might work) but the Deco complained profusely. So resorting to inserting a switch to ensure everything fed by the Deco, whether ethernet or wifi.

Options
2020-12-26 21:30:44

@Mcdryburn I have exactly the same setup.  Many people across the UK must have this setup.  Somebody from TP-Link could give us the best solution.  Virgin say contact TP-Link, so much for customer service. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3716

Replies: 6