Very Disappointed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Very Disappointed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Very Disappointed
Very Disappointed
2019-10-07 09:31:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

I have just returned a 3 pack of M5s that I spent some time trying to get working in Access Point mode - even in router mode I found issues.

Some of these "issues" may not be a problem for you but here is a list of what I found to be issues in my environment where I wanted to set up wifi behind a router and firewall.

I had read what I could find before buying but did not see information about any of this as the documentation is so minimal.
1 The app requires access to everything on your android device when installed. Why?
2 The app is unreliable.  Sometimes it said it could not see the deco system even though it was connected to the SSID from the main unit.
3 Allows devices to use WPA to connect to the wifi whether you want to or not.
4 Unable to give the deco a static IP address in access point mode.
5 The performance and range of the deco system is poor in my opinion.  I am getting faster speed and greater throughput using an extender! 

6  Devices, phone, tablet or laptop will not readily switch to the deco unit with the strongest signal. Tried several devices and even a 20db difference was not enough. I am aware that sometimes this is device dependent vbut i tried numerous devices with the same result.
7 If your internet connection is down (or the tp link site) you cannot make any changes to your environment.
8 Traffic goes from the deco units to google analytics. Why? What? Traffic also goes to tp link sites on a non-standard port.
9 The guest network still transmits in access point mode even though you cannot connect to it.
10 I was aware that some of the functionality would not work in AP mode but the "etc" comment in the description needs to be changed.   There is virtually no options available in access point mode.

It may be that the system will work fine for you if you just plug it in a basic mode in a simple straightforward environment....anything beyond that think carefully before getting the M5.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Very Disappointed
2019-10-15 07:49:43

@dippy 

Hello, sorry to respond late. 

I will answer your questions one by one. 

1. We need authorize the Deco app so that we can use the full features of it. 

2. When the Deco app cannot see the Deco system, you can reboot the or refresh the Deco app to give it a go, sometimes due to the connection between the App and the device, it cmay not detect the Deco but it won't affect the perofrmance. 

3. The Deco supports WPA encryption type, while password is needed, you need enter password to connect to it. Not every device can connect to it without permission.

4. To give a static IP address in access point mode, you can do that on the web interface of main router.

5. The performance of the mesh wifi system depends on the actual network environment, including router, modem, distance, obstacles and interferences. 

6. For the devices which do not connect to the Deco with stronger Deco, it seems that the threshold value does not reach out the trigger so that it does not switch to other Deco automatically, you can move them further away from each other or ensure that the device connected to the strong wifi signal and disable mesh.

7. When the connection lost, we can use the Deco app to check some settings to  locate the issue. 

8. what doyou mean the traffic goes to google ananlystics? 

9. The guest network is isolated from main network in router mode; the feature is planned to add in AP mode in the future.

10. For the difference between router mode and AP mode, please refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 707

Replies: 1

Related Articles