Very slow 5GHz speed on iPad and Android

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-08 10:34:47
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190726 rel.57101(4555)

Hi,

I'm raising yet another complaint for the C7. (My previous issue still not resolved: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/172722).

This time, the 5GHz speed that I get on my android (OnePlus One) is very bad. Speedtest (tested ~5 times) in the same room as the router gives me ~30mbps download and >150mbps upload. The ISP connection speed is 200 up and down - which I get perfectly in my wired connection. But 5GHz on both my iPad (2nd gen) and my android which are both WiFi ac compatible give me terrible speeds. Note that my previous router (Tenda) gave me better 5GHz wifi speeds on these devices so that's how I know these devices are fully capable of atleast 90-100 mbps up and down on a 200mbps line connection.

For the 2.5Ghz band, I get ~40 mbps for both upload and download which is not terrible as the link speed itself is ~70mbps.

Other info:

My 5GHz settings: 

Version and encryption: Auto

Mode: a/n/ac mixed

Channel width: 80MHz (I've tried other widths also)

Channel: 48 (I've tried other channels also)

Transmit power: High

QoS: Disabled 

Everything else is default. 

On my android, the link speed is "433 Mbps" and signal strength is excellent. 

What's actually worse is that, the download speeds in the speedtest start off at 60mbps and it always gradually reduces to ~35ish mbps..

I'm very disappointed that this model which is highly praised in many reviews has been let a let down in every aspect other than the wired connection speeds...

I have about 1 day left before my return window closes. If someone can please help me rectify these issues, I'd be very happy and it'd save me a lot of time looking for a better router...

Options
15 Reply
Re:Very slow 5GHz speed on iPad and Android
2019-10-08 13:14:46

@pkz78 Some things I would try...

On the router setings try different channels and band width.

Power down any extenders, boosters, if any in your system.

On the iPad, delete (forget) the network and then re-add it.

Other steps you can take on the iPad https://appletoolbox.com/ipad-air-2-wi-fi-problems-fix/

Let us know if something works for you.

Options
2019-10-08 13:41:24

@ArcherC8 Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried everything. Same setup as old router, even disabled all signals like bluetooth, disconnected all devices, forget all settings, reset cache in android, fully restart all systems, android literally near the router etc., - still same result for both ipad and android - download speeds never exceed 40mbps (in best case scenario) for 5GHz on a 200mbps ISP line...

I've also tried all combinations of band width and channel there is in the tplink settings page. All of them yielded more or less the same result. In none of the tests did I see normal download speed. 

Options
2019-10-08 14:01:54 - last edited 2019-10-08 14:44:18

@pkz78 Creating another post for clarity (sorry for double post).

So, I tried another experiment. I hooked up the line form my ISP to the WAN of my tenda and connected one of the available ports to the WAN of Archer C7.

Now, I tried testing wifi 5g from archer and I'm getting slightly better speeds. Why could that be? how can the repeater performance be better than getting direct connection to WAN?

Edit 1: another update: Tried setting up my tp-link as a fresh router after factory reset and connected via PPPoE instead of simple dynamic ip (not sure if they are the same, but I remember not having to input my ISP username and password when I set it up the first time). Now, the speeds are slightly better on average. BUT, the deviation is very large! I sometimes get 5mbps up/down and sometimes even 100+ mbps up and down. I'm testing this with 2 android phones both with wifi ac, 1 iPad and 1 macbook. Been running around my home all day today trying to get to the bottom of this.. I've tried everything. It still seems like my old tenda router is far more stable and much faster on average compared to tp-link. Open to any other suggestions!

Edit 2:another update: I'm frequently seeing (now and before reset) my speeds start higher but then get continuously lower and lower when doing speed test. This again, does not happen with my other router. and yes, I have tried all band channel combinations.

Options
2019-10-08 18:38:41

@pkz78 I am assuming durring this time the wired connections still perform at the rated speeds. Next I would try changing the 5GHz SSID and password and connect only one device at a time and test to ensure you do not have another device causing some issue. Since you have a MACBook, connect it via WIFI and then while holding the option key down, click on the WIFI symbol at the top of your screen. Then click on the Wireless Dianostics, it will open a page but do NOT click CONTINUE, instead click on WINDOW in the upper left hand side of the screen, then you have several windows options where more info about WIFI can be found. SCAN is good to see other WIFIs and channels used. Performance is good to see if your signal strong and is consistant. Info gives info about the WIFI and look at Quality as it should be Excellent. It also shows if you are connected both IPv4 and IPv6. There are other window options that you can explore also.

Options
2019-10-08 19:00:07

@ArcherC8 Thanks for giving more suggestions.

I'm not near my PC atm so I will let you know the results when I get home.

How can changing SSID help solve this problem? If I understand correctly, SSID is just a unique identifier for wifi signal right? Please do correct me if I'm wrong or if I have misunderstood something.

Options
2019-10-08 21:36:58
Lets say that one of your other devices is causing an issue with the WIFI. By changing the SSID, it will not connect as only devices that use the new SSID will connect. If you connect your iPad using the new SSID and the speed is good, then add one device at a time and recheck.
Options
2019-10-08 21:43:34

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for the explanation. I just tried another round of experiments. Disconnected wifi from all devices, changed SSID, changed password - connected my phone and tried speed tests again. I still get the same result. There were some runs where I got >70mbps on 5GHz, but that was an outlier. Among 10-15 different runs (1-2min gap in between), the avg speed was around 40-50mbps only. I then connected my iPad and other devices - it was still the same. So, I guess the reason for slow down is something else :( 

I've asked for a refund for this (amazon) as I'm out of options. I still have ~ 1 day left. If I can get it to work within that time, I will keep it, but from the results I've been getting in my tests, they are not looking good. :( 

Options
2019-10-08 21:48:42
If it were me, I would do the return.
Options
2019-10-09 03:35:49

@pkz78 

I have read all the posts, the current situation is a little weird, first, you can get a refund if you like; or we would like to follow up your case via email and try to locate the issue and fix it. 

And if we cannot sort it out, we will offer a replacement as the warranty policy. 

Please let me know which one you preferred. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-10-09 07:14:20

@Kevin_Z 

I spoke with a customer rep. from amazon yesterday night. They told me to go ahead with the refund because the refund window (1 week) is closing today. So, I agreed to it.
But if some suggestion makes everything work well, then I'm fine with canceling the refund and keeping the product. Unfortunately, since I was traveling a lot this week, I was not able to test all these as soon as it got delivered. So, I've basically been running speed tests and signal tests all day long since yesterday. I've also tried all the suggestions posted here. If there are still suggestions/possible solutions I've yet to try, I will try them and report back immediately since I still have about ~24 hrs till I return the product. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5875

Replies: 15

Related Articles