DECO M5 - Some questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DECO M5 - Some questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
DECO M5 - Some questions
DECO M5 - Some questions
2019-10-09 19:45:31
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello, 

I got a DecoM5 kit (3 points) with the latest firmware installed on it. 

I run these in routermode, so that I can parental control (which is a nice feature). 

Now to my questions / problems. 
We are a big familly (5 kids in different ages 10-18). All kids have iPads from school, smartphones, and topped with 3 PS4. 
Since they are all in different ages, we set some different user groups with different sets of policys. 

10 yo. Have internet time in between 1700-1900 on his phone amd PS4. 
He also have the iPad from school, which is open in between 1400-1700 (Should only be used for homework and schoolrelated stuff). 

14 - xx yo, internet time phones 1000-2300, except for streamingsites (youtube, etc. what is it with teenagers and youtube anyway????). 
PS4 1900-0100, 
iPad 1500-2100 (schoolwork). 

Every kid have its own group, so that they can be taken offline when they misbehave (money, candy, grounded does not work... Take their internet and you raise HELL). 
Since i have approx 8-9 different groups in my system, I can have a smart control over the network, and I can prioritize some services / devices in the network. 

1. Parental control fails from time to time. When a group has been in "PAUSE" mode, I noticed that it sometimes got crashed when its been taken out of PAUSE mode.
On PS4 for example, we get NAT error, and the device will not be able to connect as it should.
Other devices will be kept in offline state etc. 
When this occur, I need to delete the entire group and re-create it.

2. During the afternoon, when everybody gets home, there will be a lot of devices connected (phones, ipads, couple of PC´s, smart-tv, wifi speaker, chromecasts, etc). 
The TV starts to lag. I have a 250/250 fiber connection in the house, and I can see that we peak perhaps 60-70 mbit. So I dont have a BW issue, but the TV is laggy. 
Last time I checked in Deco app, I could see 17 connected devices in total. If I close down some of the devices, the TV works better.
According to your specs, the system could handle 100 devices?
TV is connected via WIFI. Signal strengt TV - AP is like 95% (3 meters of open space in between AP and TV).
TV traffic has been prioritized as well. (Nothing else is)

3. My 3 deco devices is located in differnet floors (got 3 floors), they are connected with ethernet cable in between. 
From the gameroom, I get approx 70 mbit of internet speed, Speedtest from decosystem gives me approx 230-240 mbit. 
I have like 15 meters of Cat6 cable from Deco to gameroom.  
The cable has been tested "OK". So it feels like my deco is loosing a lot of speed?

Any tips ?!
I have been running DecoM5 for 1,5 year, and I am (except the above) a happy customer that. 
Thanks for a great product...

/ Martin

Options
7 Reply
Re:DECO M5 - Some questions
2019-10-10 01:50:13

@MalteMops 

The pause mode is to block internet of all the devices in one group at once, theoretically, turn it on/off won't affect the performance of the clients. 

When you take it out of the  pause mode, try to reboot the PS4 and Deco nodes to verify whether they can access internet. And please verify whether they are still under the time limits and not able to access internet. 

When the NAT error occurred on the PS4, please check the IP and gateway obtained by PS4 and try to ping the gateway of the Deco which is 192.168.68.1 by default. 

The Deco system can handle 100 devices, but more devices connected, more interference there will be, and the slower speed every device will get. You can reduce the online devices to get better performance.

For the TV laggy issue, first, you can add the TV into high priority list, and set application priority as streaming. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-10-10 10:52:02

@Kevin_Z 

Can you add better time limit settings on the parental controls, having simply weekdays & weekends is too broad. A 7 day option with individual days would offer much finer control.

Options
2019-10-10 16:00:05

@Kevin_Z 
Thanks for your answer. 

The PS4 will not be able to connect PSN, and gives an NAT error when I perform network test. 
This is when I unpaused the device. I have tried re-booting the PS4, but still got NAT error. 
I also tested to reboot the DECO´s in order to get rid of cache issues. But that doesn´t help. 

The only thing that helped, when the error occures is to delete the parantelgroup and re-create it with the same settings as before. 
Note: This issue doesn´t occur everytime. 

The TV has been defined as High priority device.
I missed to define the streaming service. Thank you! 

If the system will manage 100 devices, I think 17 shouldnt any issues? 
Some phones, iPads that handles small amounts of surf. 
TV takes some BW, and PS4 could do. 

But if I have 4-5 devices that takes some BW, and then like 10-15 that are connected, some in idle state, and some that is handling snapchat, surf... 
I really couldnt see how it should take all the performance out of the system. =/

Options
2019-10-10 16:02:55

@tgo 
There is a 7 day week, where you can define weekdays and weekends. 
On every day, you can define start/stop time. 

So I think the timetables are good enough.  =)

tgo wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Can you add better time limit settings on the parental controls, having simply weekdays & weekends is too broad. A 7 day option with individual days would offer much finer control.

Options
2019-10-10 16:08:43

@MalteMops 

Om my M5, under Parental controls > Time limits, there are TWO entries

Weekdays

Weekend

So I can't for example set Tuesdays times to be different to Fridays time.

Or have Saturday & Sunday different.

It may cover SEVEN days but in reality you have only TWO different choices.

Options
2019-10-10 17:24:29

@tgo 

I stand a bit corrected.

It seems you can pick individual days from the very bottom, so I can exclude certain days from being included in the very basic scheduler.

However, you cannot have a seperate schedule for each day. This is what would give the required flexibility hence the seven day

Mon

Tue 

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat

Sun

required entries, with the ability to set a timed schedule for each day individually.

Options
2019-10-10 18:28:24

Ah, ok... 
No you cant, since there are only 2 options. 
Weekday or Weekend.  That is correct. 

Sorry, my mistake there. =)

tgo wrote

@tgo 

I stand a bit corrected.

It seems you can pick individual days from the very bottom, so I can exclude certain days from being included in the very basic scheduler.

However, you cannot have a seperate schedule for each day. This is what would give the required flexibility hence the seven day

Mon

Tue 

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat

Sun

required entries, with the ability to set a timed schedule for each day individually.

@tgo 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1457

Replies: 7

Related Articles