Very disapointed - I can't access Deco m4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-10 04:08:06
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Today I bought Deco m4 three units.

I've installed all and works almost fine, but I can't access my WD NAS (three HD), because their IP's are 192.168.1.130-132, and router dhcp are 192.168.68.x.

I've updated firmware.

I noted some new options like LAN IP and DHCP settings. I changed the LAN IP from 192.168.68.1 to 192.168.1.1, and save without problems. Then in DHCP settings I change startIP from 192.168.68.100 to 192.168.1.100 and end IP from 192.168.100.250 to 192.168.1.250. But I couldn't save, I got an error.

After that the app on my phone lost the connection to the router and never ever connected again ...

I did some searches in google and looks like Deco M4 doesnt allow to change DHCP ... are you serious??? why the app allowed me to change the LAN IP but didn't allow me to change DHCP settings? This app looks like crap.

So I can't access to the router, and I can't change settings.

Also I'm searching how to reset the Deco M4 and the help on the site said "Using the app go to menu bla bla bla" ... are you kiding me? There's no other way to reset the units? How do I reinstall all three units? There's no information on the site!!

I'm totally disappointed with TPLink, I'll never ever buy again any product from this company.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Very disapointed - I can't access Deco m4
2019-10-10 10:38:15

@screennamescree 

Hello, sorry for the inconvenience caused, but I'm afraid that there may have something wrong when you change the LAN IP settings. It should be very easy; We can do some troubleshooting to locate  and fix it. 

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

Theoretically, we can change the LAN IP of the Deco via the Deco app, and we can customize the DHCP range. And we did a test at our end, we can change them without problem. And once you changed the LAN IP of the Deco, the DHCP pool will change automatically. You do not have to change it manually anymore. 

After you change it to 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.250, what is the error message? 

Note: After you change the LAN IP of the Deco M4, it will reboot to apply the settings and once it booted up, you need reconnect to the Deco's network, and this time you can verify whether the IP of your smart phone has changed to 192.168.1.x. 

So first please verify whether you have obtained valid IP address from the Deco on your smart phone. 

You can hold the reset hole on the Deco for 1s to reset and reconfigure them. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-10-12 02:37:25

@Kevin_Z 

>  How do you connect these devices together? 

Wifi connected, no wires.

> Theoretically, we can change the LAN IP of the Deco via the Deco app, and we can customize the DHCP range. And we did a test at our end, we can change them without problem. And once you changed the LAN IP of the Deco, the DHCP pool will change automatically. You do not have to change it manually anymore

Yeah, theoretically, because in fact it didn't worked. My steps: first I changed LAN IP from 192.168.68.1 to 192.168.0.1, and save. Then I tried changing the DHCP settings but it didn't allow me, I can't remember the message error. Then my mobile was unable to connect to the Deco. I guess settings got corrupted because LAN IP and DHCP were inconsistent (LAN IP changed to 192.168.0.1 and DHCP = 192.168.68.100 255.255.255.0)

> After you change it to 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.250, what is the error message? 

I can' remember and also as I told you the app lost connection with Deco.

> May it help and have a nice day. 

I will try to return these plastic boxes and get a refund. And if that happen I will buy good device like Linksys, Cisco, etc.

Have a nice day.

Options
2019-10-12 08:52:58

@screennamescree 

I see, thanks for your reply and I totally understand that you are frustrated. 

If possible, you can hard reset the Deco M4 and give it a shot to change the LAN IP again.

Or you can return it as you want, what we can say is that we do respect any decision you will make and we will try our best to provide better products and customer services for you. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2115

Replies: 3

Related Articles