Deco M4 disconnection after switching to AP mode.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-16 07:10:39 - last edited 2019-10-16 16:43:20
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hi everyone,

I have three M4 Decos , and I put one on the first floor, two on the second floor. They works really fine together before I switched them to AP mode using Deco app on my iPhone yesterday. The one on the 1st floor disconnected from other Decos. Before that the signal source/strength was like 2 bars out of 3, now it's gone. Since the house those Decos are put in is half a strait away from where I live now, I can only control it using Deco app,then I left it over night. Today, when I checked again, I found the Deco network seems self-healed, but disconnected again an hour after. Until now, I switch it back to router mode to see if it self-heals again some how, maybe the Deco network will get back to normal. Anyone has this kinda exp? Please help.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 disconnection after switching to AP mode.
2019-10-17 01:23:18

@tomhawkson1990s 

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

Cause you switched the Deco to AP mode, is there another router existed?

What is the light status of the Deco M4 when you lost connection? Is there any error message on the Deco app? 

In the meantime, please connect your computer to the Deco M4 and test whether you can get internet by wired cable and click here to verify its IP address and gateway. 

And can you get internet from the main router by wired cable? 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-17 04:28:01

Kevin_Z wrote

@tomhawkson1990s 

What is the current network diagram? How do you connect these devices together? 

Cause you switched the Deco to AP mode, is there another router existed?

What is the light status of the Deco M4 when you lost connection? Is there any error message on the Deco app? 

In the meantime, please connect your computer to the Deco M4 and test whether you can get internet by wired cable and click here to verify its IP address and gateway. 

And can you get internet from the main router by wired cable? 

Good day. 

@Kevin_Z 

1.I connect them this way:

Internet->>modem(dynamic IP)->>Deco1(main,wired to modem,2nd floor)->>Deco2(wireless, same room 2nd floor)->>Deco3(wireless,at the area below Deco2, 1st floor)

2.There's none, no second router connected to the modem, so there's no causing of IP conflict. Just wanted to test out AP Mode.

3.As I mentioned, I wasn't around that house, so I do not know the light status. All I know is that Deco app says Deco3 is disconnected from other Decos.

4.Finally, letting someone help me replug Deco3's power adapter solved the problem, and that was after I switch the rest of Decos back to router mode.

I'm now curious why would Deco3 got disconnected after I switch to AP mode. Would it be syncing problem(Deco1&2 become router mode and have new IP from Deco1, but Deco3 Still in AP mode and looking for old IP from modem) or just a typical failure.
Options
2019-10-22 07:15:35

@tomhawkson1990s 

Is modem a pure modem or is it a modem router? Cause you switched the Deco to AP mode, as my knowledge, the modem should be a modem router which you can get internet from it directly; and there is no conflict between the router mode and AP mode of Deco units; 

In a local network, only one router is needed, so even though you switched them back to router mode, theoretically, there is only one Deco works as the router, which is the main unit which connects to the modem directly, the slave Decos are still working as the access point or extender( they still build up the mesh network together). 

So if you have switched them back to router mode, you can take more time  to test the performance. 

If they work in AP mode, you can verify the details mentioned on my last reply to narrow down the issue; Besides, you can switch the location of the Deco 2 and Deco 3 in AP mode. 

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2292

Replies: 3