Deco M4 + Gigabit Router - Mesh/Repeater Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-16 17:44:04 - last edited 2019-11-01 03:36:23
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20190620 Rel. 45372

Greetings,

My Issue - I have a repeater that doesn't show up as connected on my deco device list even though its connected and working properly. I don't know if this is a constraint on this type of setup or if it's just my configuration. 

My deco setup - ISP modem connected to Deco M4 operating in router mode (with the slaves sitting separately on the lower floors). The area coverage is good indoors, however, thick steel-enforced concrete beams/floors/walls reduce the signal to the outdoor rooftop terrace. 

My repeater setup - The deco I recently purchased replaced a legacy gigabit router so I thought to include it in the network as an access point to cover the weak spot. However, it's not physcially feasible/aesthetic to run an ethernet cable to the enclosed space on the terrace. So the alternative was to include it as a repeater (WDS Bridging) to avoid any ethernet cables.

So the old router now sits on the rooftop terrace, gets the signal from the main deco and repeats the signal on a separate SSID. Everything works as intended - only i cannot see the repeater connected on my device list through the app. 

If anyone has any ideas/thoughts on how to address the issue - would be much appreciated.

\\devices

A) AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System Deco M4(3-pack) -V1- https://www.tp-link.com/my/support/download/deco-m4/

B) Wireless N Gigabit Router TL-WR1043ND -V1-  https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wr1043nd/v1/

P.S. I am well aware of and can anticipate the obvious solution to just purchase another deco and extend the mesh network - but this simple inconvenience does not justify the cost of another deco at the moment. 

Cheers

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco M4 + Gigabit Router - Mesh/Repeater Setup-Solution
2019-10-23 09:03:23 - last edited 2019-11-01 03:36:23

@anbessaw7 

Thanks for your updates. 

We did a test again at our lab with V3( V1 not available), the TL-WR1043ND won't show up under online devices page. While the devices connected to the TL-WR1043ND does show up. Not sure it is the hardware capability difference or something else.

May I know how did you configure the TL-WR1043ND as the WDS router? Have you changed the IP to  the same subnet and disable DHCP server? 

You can try to degrade the firmware to give it a go, while if still the same, I'm afraid that there is not much we can do, considering it does not affect the actual performance, you may let it go. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-10-24 07:08:19 - last edited 2019-11-01 03:36:44

@anbessaw7 

Thanks for your explanation and time to arrange a video; and it is glad to help you; from what you mentioned,  the configuration steps are exactly the same as the instruction and it is totally correct. 

You can use the TL-WR1043ND as the WDS router for now to boost the wifi range; and you can add another Deco unit into the existing network. 

If need any further help in the future, do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M4 + Gigabit Router - Mesh/Repeater Setup
2019-10-17 01:30:37

@anbessaw7 

Try to refresh the Deco and the TL-WR1043ND first; 

Have you ever changed the LAN IP of the TL-WR1043ND to the same subnet as the Deco M4? 

If so, with computer connected to the Deco, try to ping the LAN IP of the 1043ND and login to its web interface. 

Still the same, please show us a screenshot of the online devices on the Deco app. 

Besides, with devices connected to the TL-WR1043ND, can you see them on the Deco app?

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-17 09:22:58 - last edited 2019-10-17 09:23:53

@Kevin_Z 

Appreciate the quick response! I

A - I refreshed/restarted both routers a few times. This has no effect.

B - Subnet on Deco M4 and WR1043ND are exactly the same.

C - While connected on the deco I can ping and access the web interface for the WR1043ND

D - Screenshot of online devices (names/macs redacted): Device List Screenshot

(all the devices are verified - I know what each one is)

E - No, I cannot see any devices that are connected to the WR1043ND (I didn't really expect to be able to see these to be honest)

Options
2019-10-22 06:37:28

@anbessaw7 

Thanks for your reply. We did a test at our lab, with WDS enabled and connect the router to the Deco network, it won't show up under online devices. We confirmed that it may relates to the three/four address. (TL-WR1043ND uses Four-address format); So it should be normal that it does not appear. 

You can tell us the current firmware version of the TL-WR1043ND and then we can arrange a test again. 

Besides, is there any trouble caused by this issue? 

If you want to reserve the IP for the clients, you can connect them to the Deco first and do that; then you can switch it back to the WDS router to give it a go. 

Best regards. 

Options
2019-10-22 11:19:55

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you and appreciate the follow up. 

• Firmware for the TL-WR1043ND V1 is 3.13.15 Build 140319 Rel.41339n (US)
  • There are no other connectivity issues/trouble created by this issue that I am aware of at this point in time.
  • Thanks for the suggestion about reserving IPs - I did try this out but devices still don't show up as connected on the app when they are connected through the TL-WR1043ND.

Options
2019-10-23 09:03:23 - last edited 2019-11-01 03:36:23

@anbessaw7 

Thanks for your updates. 

We did a test again at our lab with V3( V1 not available), the TL-WR1043ND won't show up under online devices page. While the devices connected to the TL-WR1043ND does show up. Not sure it is the hardware capability difference or something else.

May I know how did you configure the TL-WR1043ND as the WDS router? Have you changed the IP to  the same subnet and disable DHCP server? 

You can try to degrade the firmware to give it a go, while if still the same, I'm afraid that there is not much we can do, considering it does not affect the actual performance, you may let it go. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-10-23 16:33:00 - last edited 2019-10-23 16:35:20

@Kevin_Z 

I just reset the router and I'm going to list the all steps taken to configure the TL-WR1043ND as the repeater OR you can skip the list and watch the youtube video I linked at the bottom (its the guide i followed)

• Wireless Settings
  1. Change wireless network name (different from Deco M4 SSID but i have also tried the same SSID on both routers to check)
  2. Enable WDS Bridging
  3. SSID (to be Bridged): Deco M4 SSID
  4. BSSID (to be Bridged): Surveyed for the main Deco M4 and connected to it
  5. Updated Channel from Auto to the same channel as the Deco M4
  6. Change key type to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK and enter Deco M4 password
  7. Hit Save

• Wireless Security
  1. Enable WPA/WPA2 - Personal Recommended and enter a password (same password as Deco M4)
  2. Hit Save

• DHCP
  1. Disable DHCP server
  2. Hit Save

• Network - LAN
  1. Enter IP address  (follow same pattern of other devices connected to Deco M4 but change the has digits to high number)
  2. Default Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (same as Deco m4)
  3. Hit Save
  4. Reboot Router

Youtube Guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjSD57VMaj0

As you mentioned, unless there is an issue with my configuration above that you notice - at this point, we can let this one go and down the line I will consider including another deco into the mesh network.

Really appreciate the time and effort you put in to help troubleshoot this regardless.

Options
2019-10-24 07:08:19 - last edited 2019-11-01 03:36:44

@anbessaw7 

Thanks for your explanation and time to arrange a video; and it is glad to help you; from what you mentioned,  the configuration steps are exactly the same as the instruction and it is totally correct. 

You can use the TL-WR1043ND as the WDS router for now to boost the wifi range; and you can add another Deco unit into the existing network. 

If need any further help in the future, do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-10-27 16:39:46 - last edited 2019-10-27 16:45:28

@Kevin_Z 

Quick one - there was a power disruption earlier today, and when everything came back up online - the repeater no longer had internet connectivity. Some troubleshooting showed that the Deco M4 had switched WLAN channels after the reboot, but the repeater remained on the old WLAN channel.

When you setup WDS bridging you are forced to select a channel, and it cannot be left on auto. I don't know if this is an issue with my hardware or a configuration limitation of WDS bridging. 

It looks like this question has been asked before for different deco models on this forum - so just looking for an update here, Are we still not able to manually set the network channel on the deco? 

Options
2019-10-30 09:06:07

@anbessaw7 

Hello, the request to fix the wireless channel of Deco units has been forwarded to our product department, the engineers will work on it. 

For now, you can reboot the WDS router to verify whether the channel will change to the same one as the Deco. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5360

Replies: 9