Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
333 Reply
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable?
2021-02-02 13:51:32 - last edited 2021-02-02 13:52:46

@ItsBrunoJ @TP-Link as per the information provided about the beta firmware it seems that the units would be able to connect to the nearest Deco instead of connecting to the main unit. Well, that is exactly what it was supposed to do in the first place, so what's new? How hard it is to include an option that we can choose (manually) the connection we want. That would work no matter the case. We know our houses, we know where the units are located. We should have the freedom to choose whatever we want. So please MAKE IT SIMPLER! Is it too much to ask?

Options
2021-02-02 14:27:23

As per my previous comment, can we also have the ability to tie devices to specific M5 units.

I know you can turn off "mesh mode" to stop devices jumping between M5 units (I have to do this with all computers to avoid significant buffer bloat issues) but the device will not always reconnect to the "best" M5 unit after power on.

So, in the App I would like to be able to select the M5 unit each device (with Mesh off) connects to, and this remains every time the device reconnects to the network.

I want to do this cause my PC can connect either directly to the main M5 unit or to the one at the end of the chain of M5 units, both of which are similar strengths as seen by the PC. Obviously I want to connect directly to the main unit, which it doesnt always do.

David

Options
2021-02-02 14:30:48 - last edited 2021-02-02 14:31:44

Well, it seems for @TP-Link  this is like reinventing the Internet...

Options
2021-02-02 21:28:22

@David2020 I've been looking for / asking for this feature for so long now! This is really an inconvenience, especially in a house with 30+ connected devices where you want to keep certain of them connecting to the closest unit. Hopefully some day (?) they'll listen to this! I'm starting to get tired of TP-Link, and even though I can't return my units anymore I may just start considering some alternatives :( 

Options
2021-02-04 23:54:21
Do you have the bets firmware for Deco X60
Options
2021-02-04 23:54:23
Do you have the bets firmware for Deco X60
Options
2021-02-05 08:08:52
3 always connect to 1 vs 2. What the heck?
Options
2021-02-05 09:38:26
My Amazon review: Do NOT purchase this system as they falsely advertise it as a mesh system which it is NOT. I purchased the 3 pack M5 (if you bought a 6 pack they would all connect to the main #1 vs each other which makes the rest of them useless). Both the 2nd and the 3rd satellite both connect to the main signal source (#1) which makes the 3rd satellite useless. The 3rd satellite should connect to satellite #2 which is closer to #1 and has a stronger signal but by default it connects to the main signal source (#1) which of course is furthest away hence getting a weak signal. #3 should connect to the closer #2 satellite that has the strongest signal but it connects to #1 and there is no option to choose connecting #3 to #2 which is how it's supposed to work. They have 12 pages online of the same exact complaint and they haven't resolved this issue in over a year. All of the other models have the same complaint so don't waste your time.. What's the use of a 3rd, 4th or 5th satellite if they all connect to the main #1 furthest away giving you the weakest signal instead of connecting to #2 which is closer and stronger? Total rip-off. How can you not be able to chose to connect one mesh satellite to the closest satellite with the strongest signal? That's the whole point of having mesh and they have failed and refuse to fix or update their system to remedy this simple problem.. Pathetic.
Options
2021-02-05 09:40:10
My Amazon review: Do NOT purchase this system as they falsely advertise it as a mesh system which it is NOT. I purchased the 3 pack M5 (if you bought a 6 pack they would all connect to the main #1 vs each other which makes the rest of them useless). Both the 2nd and the 3rd satellite both connect to the main signal source (#1) which makes the 3rd satellite useless. The 3rd satellite should connect to satellite #2 which is closer to #1 and has a stronger signal but by default it connects to the main signal source (#1) which of course is furthest away hence getting a weak signal. #3 should connect to the closer #2 satellite that has the strongest signal but it connects to #1 and there is no option to choose connecting #3 to #2 which is how it's supposed to work. They have 12 pages online of the same exact complaint and they haven't resolved this issue in over a year. All of the other models have the same complaint so don't waste your time.. What's the use of a 3rd, 4th or 5th satellite if they all connect to the main #1 furthest away giving you the weakest signal instead of connecting to #2 which is closer and stronger? Total rip-off. How can you not be able to chose to connect one mesh satellite to the closest satellite with the strongest signal? That's the whole point of having mesh and they have failed and refuse to fix or update their system to remedy this simple problem.. Pathetic.
Options
2021-02-08 19:24:37

I have the following Deco M5 setup at Home:

Main Deco ----> Office ------> Corridor -----> Bedroom (there are 2 other bedrooms each side)

I thought the Office router would connect to the Main one, Corridor to Office, and Bedroom to corridor. Unexplicably, all of them connect to the Main Deco! So, for now, I bought very expensive routers that are actually just repeaters. 

PLEASE, TPLink, just let us select the f***** signal source for each unit, or at least make it intelligent, because the current implementation is very dumb (connect to the main one, if it's not reachable, try the next one).

Options
Related Articles