Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
333 Reply
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable?
2021-02-14 08:01:02

@MackPhoenix62 

I have had a private messsage asking me to chek emails days ago - but nothing arrived - any chance this can be sent to me by somebody - I have 8 x M5's and it's driving me crazy !

Dave

Options
2021-02-17 06:05:17

@TP-Link we have 4 tp link deco m4 that will not connect to the right strength deco all the time, instead it will choose one NOT backhauled further away. So frustrating to reboot reboot or reset a deco to get it to the right deco ... if I leave it as is it will drop from 300 mbps to 12-20 mbps and leaving it to "learn" never happens except occasionally if one of.the others had too much traffic so it changed to another point.

We are prime candidates for beta... 

Options
2021-02-17 08:42:07

@Bobby19641 I've asked for the Beta but got no reply. I fully agree with all the frustrations. I bought 6 x60's for good coverage but got this.... So far it's been disappointing but I truly hope they fix this bug and deliver the mesh they sold us

Options
2021-02-17 08:58:34

Fi-Wi wrote

That once finally worked for my M9 after a dozen unsuccessful attempts. Unfortunately the following day I found out that my farthest slave had spontaneously reconnected again to the main device. Then I surrendered.

@Fi-Wi yes i experienced the same with the new beta firmware on my M9 plus 3deco set. It's not implemented well, it's not an improvement. There is no way around this: For whatever reason the TPLink Deco "mesh" system is designed as a Star topology, NOT a mesh. And now they have major issues fixing it. The only good solution is to have the user define the topology, and select what Deco is connecting to what other Deco. Of course, improving the technology to connect to the *closest* deco instead of the main-deco, would fix everything. But that seems to be an issue for TPLink, unfortunately. 

Options
2021-02-17 10:47:08

@Olafmol 

Could you please briefly describe how the option is implemented in the beta firmware. You cannot select which deco connects with the one chosen by the user. I have 5 decos (I just added one) and the four decos satellites are irretrievably connected to the main decode which is connected to the ISP. Thanks and best regards

Options
2021-02-17 11:43:04

@Rioja time to return this "mess" system back to where you purchased it. They will never remedy this issue. I'm sending my 3 M5's back to Amazon before my 30 day return policy expires. It's too bad the system doesn't perform like a true mesh system, as advertised:(

Options
2021-02-17 15:34:04

Rioja wrote

@Olafmol 

Could you please briefly describe how the option is implemented in the beta firmware. You cannot select which deco connects with the one chosen by the user. I have 5 decos (I just added one) and the four decos satellites are irretrievably connected to the main decode which is connected to the ISP. Thanks and best regards

@Rioja the beta firmware adds an new option to the Router Settings menu in the Deco app, called "Network Optimization". When pressing it, some "black magic" is happening, and then it's done. No idea what is happening, and most often there is no change/improvement in how the Deco's connect, but once in a while it connects to another closer Deco. But as another poster already mentioned, sometimes, for whatever reason, it also automatically reconnects to the main (further away) Deco. 

All in all, it's totally unclear what exactly is happening when pressing this option, and the effects are also very minimal, ie it's not really improving anything structurally. 

Options
2021-02-17 15:35:42 - last edited 2021-02-17 15:36:58

Before the beta firmware, I could make my Decos at least not to stupidly connect to the main deco (this is EXTREMELY frustrating!) by following these steps:

1. Switch all the units off
  2. Turn the farthest one on
  3. Turn the second farthest one one and wait a couple of minutes
  4. Repeat until you reach the main Deco. It needs to be the very last one. 

COME ON, TpLink, manual signal source selection would make your WiFi mesh devices awesome. We rarely need to move your mesh units around, so manual source signal selection is the most sensible approach.  

Options
2021-02-17 16:04:58

And this thread that keeps on giving...

@TP-Link must be truly proud that just a single product is capable of inflicting disappointment on so many people...

After 25 years of having teams of electronics & software/firmware engineers, it still can't turn around a screw up like this in 1.5 years.

This thread is from Oct 2019 everyone... A disgrace...

Options
2021-02-17 17:19:02 - last edited 2021-02-17 17:35:03

@Olafmol I want to start by giving my word of honor that what I am telling is totally true. This morning I wrote a post, addressing OLAFMOL, saying that my decos, now there are 5 (since I added one last week) never had formed a mesh, all four were always connected to the main deco, the set (4) had it ago approximately two years.

Which is my surprise, that without touching "today" absolutely nothing, I find the decos CONNECTED IN MESH, as I had thought many times, the mesh could be formed as I have them placed and evaluating distances.

I can't find a logical explanation, and this does seem like "BLACK MAGIC".

Also say that since the last official firmware update, 1.5.1 build 20201022 Rel66804, a "Network Optimization" option had been implemented that if you touched it normally, it would change the 2.4 Ghz channel. I have used it sometime to change the channel in 2.4Ghz when I was put on 12-13 or 14 which are incompatible with my DAIKIN air conditioners. I never appreciated another function, much less the connections between decos.

I have my serious doubts that this wonderful mesh that my decos have created today, will be preserved forever, and that in the first power failure, it will disappear. I guess and wish that the next firmware fixes the situation.

Options
Related Articles