Archer MR400 Youtube/Insta/Chomecast issues certain devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer MR400 Youtube/Insta/Chomecast issues certain devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
81 Reply
Re:Archer MR400 Youtube/Insta/Chomecast issues certain devices
2020-01-02 20:54:27

@nu1mlock

No, that router gets a 90.132.x.x address, the same one shows on whatsmyip.

Options
2020-01-02 21:14:35

@JensPalmqvist 

Really? That's very, very interesting! Because I'm 100% sure that my router have gotten a different IP than whatsmyip ever since I purchased it. I remember the very first day I was looking up ways to solve the port forwarding issue and that's when I noticed my router and whatsmyip had different IP's.

Everything worked fine though, I mean, I couldn't port forward anything, but everything else worked. I assumed this was because of Tele2 and that I was using their Unlimited, which was a phone contract. I came from Telia ADSL, so I assumed this was simply the way 4G worked and one of the downsides of using it (I had no alternative though).

The issue we're all having right now started maybe about three weeks ago. But my router and whatsmyip have always shown different IP's.

That just makes things even more strange. If your new router gets the same IP as whatsmyip, then why isn't our TP-Links getting that? Hopefully someone else with this router can chime in.

Options
2020-01-02 21:17:22

@nu1mlock

The Huawei router doesn't have multiple ethernet ports, and therefore no NAT. That's what makes me think it's a NAT issue from Tele2s side.

If I have the time I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask about it.

Options
2020-01-02 22:10:14 - last edited 2020-01-02 23:26:00

@JensPalmqvist 

It sure does sound like it's an issue with Tele2, but then again, it's important to remember than any other router works fine. So it's the combination of the MR400 and Tele2's 4G network, it's not just Tele2. I've already confirmed this by testing in other routers and also other operators in my router (it works).

Please do call Tele2 to report it if nothing else, but the last three times I called they claimed that nothing had changed from their side. Also, TP-Link has confirmed this to be an issue and have produced a beta firmware for v3, which is better indication that it's an issue with TP-Link and not Tele2.

Edit: The MR600 that I tried with my SIM card works just fine. It also has an in-built and enabled NAT and that works just fine. The issue is specifically the MR400 and nothing else.

Options
2020-01-02 23:20:22 - last edited 2020-01-03 15:44:43

@nu1mlock 

Starting from about 3 or so hours ago, I can't access Netflix even with the 3G connection active. Setting the router to 3G Only mode has always worked as a temporary solution. About three hours ago Netflix stopped working. I can't login and get an error from their side. Even with the 3G Only connection.

However, using my phone as hotspot (as usual to get everything to work), Netflix works fine.

Basically, Netflix stopped working with 3G as well as 4G which has been broken for almost a month now.

Edit: Netflix works with 3G again now so it was something temporary.

@Kevin_Z Please just tell me that I can exchange the router on warranty! This has been going on for almost a month now! I know there have been many holidays, but my issues persists! Just give me an official word that I can exchange the router on warranty please.

Options
2020-01-03 12:44:27

@nu1mlock Hello,

Can we confirm that all streaming and 4G works flawless with MR600?

I don't want to buy another unit with problems.

Thanks

//Joakim

Options
2020-01-03 15:47:31

@JRendlert 

I haven't been able to test the MR600 much, but what little I tested worked. Using the MR400 I can't browse Reddit, watch Youtube or Netflix. Not even Gmail works on my Galaxy S9.

However, as soon as I tried my SIM in the MR600 all those mentioned apps and websites started working again. That's all I've been able to test with the MR600.

Options
2020-01-04 18:40:38

@nu1mlock 

That's very strange. For me it's only the Spotify pc program and Facebook website that's are troublesome. 

Although, some days it seems to work while other days it doesn't work at all. 

Options
2020-01-07 16:27:43

@Mallevs 

Hello all,

I have now got an MR600 and everything works great with the same SIM from ComHem (Tele2).

I have no trouble streaming, connecting android units and gets 4G speeds.

Sooo...Something is strange with MR400.

Best regards

Joakim

Options
2020-01-08 01:29:52 - last edited 2020-01-08 04:53:56

@JensPalmqvist Can you please let us know the model number of your router that gives you a public IP? You mentioned it was a Huawei router.

I did a lot of Googling about the inability to port forward with this router back when I bought it, but couldn't find any other answer than that this was the way it works with mobile broadband (or at least with Tele2 Unlimited that I'm using).

However, as I've gathered more information now a year and months later, it turns out that what I (and probably all of you) have to deal with is a so called CG NAT (Carrier-Grade NAT). The CG NAT will give you a Private IP and is acting as a second NAT as @JensPalmqvist mentioned earlier. This Private IP is different from your Public IP, which is why whatsmyip.com is showing something else than your router.

To sum things up, this means that if you have an IP in your router that looks similar to 10.211.72.201 (I'm sure I've seen something similar to 103.85.63.211 as well), then you WILL NOT be able to port forward and you CANNOT access your network from outside of your network (for example Minecraft server or any other kind of server). UPnP also will NOT work (unless within the local network, for example streaming between two computers at home). Some of these issues can be solved with a VPN, but a free VPN is not enough.

This Carrier-Grade NAT isn't optional and calling Tele2 (or whichever your ISP is) won't help. Tele2 cannot help you with this.

However, it seems that SOME routers will actually give you a Public IP, which means that port-forwarding WILL work, and you will be able to access your servers/devices from outside of your network (for example when streaming with Plex or simply just accessing your FTP server, or Minecraft or any other server for that matter).

Unfortunately, the TP-Link MR400 is not one of them.

The MR400 will give you a Private IP, so any kind of port forwarding, DMZ, virtual servers or similar simply WILL NOT WORK. With the MR400, you're given a Private IP, so you're basically behind another router already, which overrules your port forwarding, DMZ, virtual servers and similar settings.

I will try to update this post with routers that I have been told get a Public IP as I get the info.

Routers that give you a Public IP (port forwarding and servers works):

1. Huawei B525

2. Huawei E3372 (modem, not a router)

3. Huawei E5172

4. ZTE MF833V

It seems that Huawei routers are the ones that will give you a proper Public IP.

Routers that give you a Private IP - any port forwarding or servers won't work:

1. TP-Link MR400

2. TP-Link MR600

3. Teltonika RUT240

EDIT: Please note that the above info (regarding router not being able to port forward, DMZ, etc.) is only in combination with Tele2 and MR400 in Sweden (confirmed). Telia for example, does not have this issue since they don't give your router a Private IP. That's not the router's fault, that's just how Tele2 does it.

Options