Deco M5 auto connects to wrong router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-27 19:42:40
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Hi,

I got a appartment that requires a quite big mesh network (6 Deco M5 in total). Appartment is big but also long and with thick concrete walls..

Inside the front door my Fiber comes in through the Swedish network provider Telia and their router. I have installed the first Deco M5 to the router as the second installation option "Access point mode" (not sure about the english name).. Deco M5 nr is called "Front Door"

The 2nd router is in the Kitchen (closest by distans to Front door)

I have one in the next room called "Living room"

And three in different bed rooms (Bedroom 1, 2, 3)

All of the routers connects to "Front door" but with very bad network. And that creates a problem with slow speed.

I would like the Kitchen to hook up Front door. And Living room hook up to Kitchen. And Bed Room 1 to Living room etc etc..

So my question is HOW I can do this?? 

I'm also experiencing problems with all my Sonos speakers (lagging) and also two different PS4 in the kids bedrooms. I have plugged the PS4 to ethernet cable but it doesent help me.

Please advise and thanks in advance!

Options
21 Reply
Re:Deco M5 auto connects to wrong router?
2019-10-27 21:20:50

Was thinking of if I can set the M5 in the middle of my apartment as the Primary router?!
Might solve the problem, as it looks like all the M5s will connect to the Primary. 

But is that possible when Internet is coming to the M5 at the Front Door?

BUT if I can understand how I can hook one M5 to one I decide, it would be much much better off course.. 

Options
2019-10-28 02:15:26

@Olof 

For your first request, I'm sorry to tell you that there is no option to fix the signal source of a specific Deco yet. While the good news is that we have received some similar feedback already and have reminded our product engineer; they will work on it and discuss the feasibility to add this feature based on the demands of customers. 

For the lagging issue; first, please verify which Deco these devices have connected to, and then get the IP address of the Connected Deco; if it is a slave/satellite Deco, please verify the IP address of the signal source Deco, you can find the signal source via Deco app. 

Once you got these IP addresses, first, please use your device to ping the IP of the Connected Deco, and then ping the IP of the signal source Deco, then ping the IP of the Front Door Deco and the ISP router. After that, please show us the screenshots of the ping results so that we can figure out the causes. 

For the slow speed, who is your ISP and what is the bandwidth you paid? 

With computer connected to the ISP router directly, what is the speed you can get? What about the Deco? 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2020-02-27 19:00:20

@Kevin_Z 

Pleasssssse fix this issue

My whole house is wifi lighting and iot devices and since purchasing 6 of your accesspoints the whole thing is a mess

I just replaced my old repeaters with your mesh system, which while the repeaters were clunky to manage they were at least functional

Now it is not

Most of my lights randomly decide to connect to the furthest access point away and then fail to respond to commands because of no signal despite them being on the network

This is ridiculous and not what i need

I cant turn them off. Some just turn themselves bcak on while I'm asleep. If i power them off they dont reconnect to the smart app. They start flashing. After several weeks of pain and swearing about my lighting I track it down to the wifi connection

Either they need to connect to the ap with the strongest signal or let me assign them. Everything is attempting to use the main ap Despite the signal strength being attrocious

Is there any idea when this may make it to the top of your developer's to-do list?

Options
2020-02-27 22:36:27 - last edited 2020-02-27 22:47:06

Im pretty sure before I got updates for the firmware, I had seen the other units connect to non-main unit as signal source.

Since i upgraded the firmware on all my deco units, they are all using the main unit as signal source which is causing issues.

If its too hard to do it automatically, an option for manual selection on the signal source could be a sweet feature that would be used by many in different situations and will be very easy to do.

And yes my network is a mess too, i have 6 Deco M5s unit. :| Still have hopes that TP-Link comes through ..

Options
2020-03-01 18:29:52

@Will_C 

Same problem here. I've tried rebooting / factory reset and re-adding the M5s and the further still connects to the primary unit, rather than the conveniently placed middle unit (which receives better signal from the primary unit).

This entirely defeats the purpose of mesh routers and needs to be addressed - the routers should find the source which provides the best signal; a manual override would be nice. 

I was contemplating buying another Deco M5 to further boost my network but now I'm more likely to return this and move to a different brand.  

If someone from the supplier has visibility of this, please do advise. 

Options
2020-03-01 18:35:36
I agree. They need to fix this ASAP! It causes big problems for me with very poor speed because of my additional 5 routers connecting to the main instead of the closest. I have invested in 6 deco. Damn it. If you find another brand that can connect serial to each other not only the main. Please let me know. Thanks!! And TP-Link, give us your latest update of your progress in this problem.
Options
2020-03-01 18:50:30
I have always thought that the purpose of a Mesh Network is to extend the network with many different access points. But if they all need to hook up with the main the whole purpose of adding many access points disappears. Right? Can anyone advise me of a good network with many access points that I easily can hook up to each other?! Thanks!! Sooo disappointing that months and months go and no action from TP-Link..
Options
2020-03-11 12:24:52

@Kevin_Z@Olof,

Hi 

My M5 Decos have been working fine until recently when I noticed the same problem.

I have 3x M5 Decos and now 2 are connected to the main Deco for some reason. I have not tried a factory reset but I rebooted and upgraded the firmware to no avail. The Deco furthest away now has a terrible signal and should be using its closest Deco instead of the main Deco.

The main reason I bought this mesh product was to be able to daisy chain deco APs in a row. It kind of defeats the whole purpose if all are connected to the main deco. I might have just bought a repeater.  

Please expedite a firmware release.

Thanks

Tim

Options
2020-03-11 13:45:18
Deco! Please reply. We are many with the same problem. What hav happened with the product??
Options
2020-03-31 11:33:20
Helooo.. No reply? No new software?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5285

Replies: 21

Related Articles