Deco M9 sees and doesn't see devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-29 08:55:27
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023

Hi all,

I am experiancing strange behaviour of my setup and since I lack a lot of knowladge about networking, I hope you can help me with the problem I am facing.

This is my setup:

• Deco M9 working in the router operating mode, set as a main one
  • Two additional M9s connected via Ethernet backhaul
  • TP-Link T1500G-10PS PoE switch connected to the main Deco
  • 4 PoE cameras connected to the PoE switch

Deco M9 DHCP configuration:

• Start IP: 192.168.0.100
  • End IP: 192.168.0.250
  • Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
  • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

TP-Link T1500G-10PS PoE switch system IP configuration:

• Static IP: 192.168.0.200

Cameras system IP configuration:

• Static IP: from 192.168.0.201 to 192.168.0.204

So the problem is that Deco sometimes sees the switch and the cameras and sometimes not - the devices constantly disappear and appear and I can only see them as offline ones. Sometimes what happens though is that cameras appear as new devices with that same MAC address, but different IP - e.g. one of the cameras which has a static IP of 192.168.0.201 appears with a new IP of 53.50.51.56.
This behaviour does not affect access to the devices, as I can still login to the them and everything works just fine. What is more, even if a camera appears with a new IP like 53.50.51.56 I can still login into it via 192.168.0.201.

Previously I was experiancing that same behaviour with my smart home control unit, even though it was connected directly to the main Deco via Ethernet backhaul (the control unit also has a static IP). I discovered that the problem was in address reservation funcionality - I reserved an adress for it and it was causing the issue, but once the address reservation removed, the problem disappeared. None of the cameras and the switch has address reservation.

So what is wrong here?

/Dawid

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M9 sees and doesn't see devices
2019-10-31 07:18:57

@dawid_p 

Hello, the online devices list the online devices with dynamic IP, for the devices which use static IP, some of them won't show up at all, while others won't show up under online devices list until they are trying to surf the internet. 

You can change them back to dynamic IP and reserve the IP for them on the Deco app. After that, try to verify whether they appear on the Deco app. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1795/

Where did you see that the camera appears with the same MAC address but with different IP address? Please show us a picture of it. And the IP you mentioned is a public IP address, when this issue happens, please verify the WAN IP of Deco under more-advanced-IPV4  page. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-10-31 22:25:21

@Kevin_Z

Hi Kevin,
Following your suggestions, I changed static IP of the switch and cameras to dynamic ones. Unfortunately the devices still behave as before, disappearing and appearing spontaneously.

Kevin_Z wrote

Hello, the online devices list the online devices with dynamic IP, for the devices which use static IP, some of them won't show up at all, while others won't show up under online devices list until they are trying to surf the internet. 

There is also a Synology NAS connected that same switch, and it had static IP assigned with an address reserved (for testing purposes I changed it to DHCP). I have never experienced such a behavior of the NAS like with cameras. The NAS is always on the list, even though it has a static IP.

Kevin_Z wrote

Where did you see that the camera appears with the same MAC address but with different IP address? Please show us a picture of it. And the IP you mentioned is a public IP address, when this issue happens, please verify the WAN IP of Deco under more-advanced-IPV4  page.

My WAN IP is 37.xxx.xxx.xxx and it hasn’t changed for months, as I haven't restarted my ISP router for a really long time. Have a look at pictures below:

• The first one shows the system when it is discovering cameras as it should
  • The second one shows properties of the front yard camera when it is visible by Deco as it should be
  • The third one shows the system when it is not discovering cameras as it should
  • The fourth one shows the front yard camera when it is not visible by Deco as it should be - it appears as a new device with that same MAC address, but different IP. The new IP can start with 54, or 51, or 47, or whatever. The name of the device is being also reset to default one.

In addition, once the "new camera" is visible by Deco, the normal one is not listed in offline devices and vice versa - once normal one is visible as it should, the "new camera" is not listed in offline devices.

I also listed devices with help of the arp -a command in CMD and it is fully reflecting Deco’s list. If cameras and switch are not correctly listed by Deco, they are also not listed in CMD. The strangest thing is, that it does not matter if the cameras or switch are properly visible or not, I can always access them via a web interface. My Synology which works as a NVR, also has no problem with that, as connection with cameras is never lost.

Any thoughts?

Options
2019-11-05 07:15:21

@dawid_p 

Thanks for your updates. 

That is a little weird, the camera still exists under online devices but with a different MAC address and public IP address, the most important is that the public IP is not the internet IP of the Deco. 

Please tell us the model number of the PoE cameras.

And how often it happens? How do you make them back work? 

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-07 14:54:45

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z wrote

That is a little weird, the camera still exists under online devices but with a different MAC address and public IP address, the most important is that the public IP is not the internet IP of the Deco. 

I actually just noticed than indeed, the MAC address is not exactly that same - first 4 digits are different, but we can clearly see it’s that same device.

Kevin_Z wrote

Please tell us the model number of the PoE cameras.

And how often it happens? How do you make them back work?

These are Hikvision DS-2CD2655FWD-IZS cameras.

Options
2019-11-08 01:52:14

@dawid_p 

Yes, I agree with you that it is still the same device even though the first 4 digits are different. 

Cause the current issue is a little weird, we would like to follow up your case via email to do further analysis. 

If you are willing to do further troubleshooting, please check your inbox.

Thanks for your cooperation and support in advance. Have a nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1942

Replies: 5

Related Articles