Deco M5 No internet - Red LED

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-01 20:45:38 - last edited 2020-04-15 13:41:44
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20190617 Rel. 47476

I am having regular internet dropouts, at least once a week but sometimes 4-5 times a day (as this wednesday).

All units get the red LED and all clients looses internet access but are connected to the Wifi. I have only managed to fix it by rebooting the main Deco.

Restarting the fiber box, reconnecting cables does not restore internet access.

Topology

ISP Fiber -> Main Deco -> Switch -> Second Deco

I have tried

• Switching main Deco unit
  • Factory reset
  • Change local ip subnet
  • Turning off anti virus
  • Turning off Mesh for most clients
  • Running only the main Deco, no satellites
  • Replaced Switch
    • This is a great tip if you're using ethernet backhaul! I had a cheap D-Link switch, which turned out to severly affect mesh, now using a TP-Link switch

The Deco mesh ran very stable at the beginning, I even recommeded the M5 to all my friends at at least 4 of them bought it! It still works great for them.

But at some point aug/sept 2018 it started to behave like this for me.

I then connected my old router back, and just used the Decos as accesspoint, and it worked flawlessly without a single problem for a year.

Since I really want to replace my old router, and the new updates to the Deco seemed nice, and decided to give it a new try, but I can't get it stable, yet they worked completely stable as access points.

I have not seen any common cause to the dropouts, they appear random and can happen as soon as minutes apart, but more often close to a week.

Any help is appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 No internet - Red LED
2020-04-15 09:22:02

@DecoUser77  I am having the same problem.  Sometimes all my M5 deco's get the red light. No internet.  The internal network is still fine.  The internet connection on the modem is still fine.  With the app I can resart the main deco and the problem is gone.  I notice this a few times a week

The deco main deco is connected to my router/vdsl modem.

The firmware on my deco is 1.4.4 build 20200221 rel.65392

But it is still a pain in the ass, when I am on holiday.  I can not access my home server since I can not restart the main deco over the internet.

I think there is an issue on the firmware.... 

Options
Re:Deco M5 No internet - Red LED
2020-04-15 09:49:34 - last edited 2020-04-15 13:41:44

@PieterVE Hi!

I agree, there probably is something with the firmware, but I didnt manage to pinpoint a root cause.

Maybe the problem is related to how the ISP handles DHCP (RED led only when acting as a router), or maybe some device on the network misbehaves (but it is stable in AP-mode)...?

The M5 worked fine as AP to my Asus router, but that misses the point with a mesh, so I'm back using only a single Asus router for now.

If you use Ethernet backhaul, make sure you that you do have a switch that supports the protocol IEEE 1905.1, some cheap switches dont, and that will mess with your Deco!

In the end I gave up on the M5, I really wanted it to work, it did work 100% stable the first year.

I gave away my M5 system to my brother and installed it in the middle of February 2020 and as far as i know it has worked stable for him since.

Looking for a new Mesh with Wifi6 now...

Good luck!

*edit*

I updated to the latest beta when I installed it at my brothers house, so that version is not verified in my house, maybe it works for you, is there a more recent beta firmware?

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/187114

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3025

Replies: 2

Related Articles