How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
135 Reply
Re:How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?
2020-04-11 10:49:05

@bouc 

It isn't good enough. Today, for no apparent reason after 2 weeks of working ok, one of my Decos dropped out of the mesh network. I've made no changes to the locations, or the household wiring and there are no new electrical appliances being used. It will only work when relocated close to an existing working unit. But then I have no WiFi coverage where I need it. The only reason I bought the P9 set was because we have very thick walls and need power line capability to transfer data.

My old system with a bog standard router and multiple homeplug AV WiFi adaptors worked better. Living with a brief loss of signal when moving around the house and jumping from one homeplug access point to the next, was much better than the hit and miss functionality of these P9s.

Options
2020-04-29 11:26:16

@lohr500 @bouc

I was facing random Deco units disconnections and the whole setup was very unstable. 

It seems that Decos were trying to use WiFi backhaul even with weak signal.

My solution was to permanently disable the WiFi backhaul and use only PLC.

Before disabling WiFi backhaul

After disabling WiFi backhaul

Options
2020-04-29 11:31:34

@ahambou 

How were you able to disable WiFi backhaul on the P9s? I couldn't find anything in the App to allow me to do this.

Options
2020-04-29 11:35:29

@lohr500 

Unfortunately this cannot be done from the APP.

I had to connect on each of my Deco units via telnet and disable WiFi backhaul under /etc/config/WiFi.

Options
2020-04-29 12:31:55

@ahambou 

you also running a beta firmware?

Options
2020-04-29 12:48:57

@wcg 

Yes.

I have been advised by TP-Link upgrading to beta firmware version 1.0.2 but this didnt solve my issue.

After digging the config files i found that the WiFi backhaul can be permanently disabled by changing the value of "Option enable" from 1 to 0 under "config backhaul 'backhaul'" in /etc/config/WiFi.

Options
2020-04-29 13:59:30

Very annoying that the functionality is there to switch off WiFi backhaul, but only if you hack into the system with the knowledge of how to do this.

Why couldn't this have been included in the new firmware release TP-Link?

Options
2020-04-29 14:12:18

@lohr500 

You are absolutely right.

In my last email to TP-Link support I have requested to consider adding an option in a future firmware release giving the ability to the user to enable / disable WiFi backhaul.

Options
2020-04-29 15:12:14

@ahambou Can you detail the telnet process a bit more? Like the port (23?) user and pass?

Options
2020-04-29 15:35:30 - last edited 2020-05-24 21:08:08

@robschwieb 

You have to telnet on each of your Deco units (port 23, no username or password is needed) edit /etc/config/WiFi locate config backhaul 'backhaul' , change the "option enable" value from '1' to '0' , save the changes, run saveconfig command and reboot the units.

Before doing the above my deco units were upgraded to the beta firmware 1.0.2. (Download)

Options
Related Articles