Deco M9 Plus Guest network is allowing local network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus Guest network is allowing local network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
28 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus Guest network is allowing local network
2019-12-13 11:32:02

@wtf 

You can connect the IOT devices to the guest network, and then get their IP address. 

In the meantime, please connect your computer to the main network and try to ping the IP of the IOT device. 

Please show us the ping result, 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-13 21:30:14

@Kevin_Z Ok, sorry, my mistake which was was caused by the fact that the same IP has been assigned to units on the isolated networks. Hence the confusion. I.e 192.168.0.108 was assigned to a IOT unit on the guest_network and the same 192.168.0.108 to a PC on the main network. Great ping results and a confused user behind the keyboard 🤓

Options
2019-12-15 12:07:54

@Kevin_Z Maybe it would be a good idea not to provide and assign IP from the same range? If this is the cause of all threads about deco not isolating guest_network, you will be haunted by future postings and loose potential business.

Options
2019-12-31 14:50:42
I probably missed something. I enabled guest WIFI and connected it from my phone, then I run RDP to a local computer with the internal IP and success connect to it. To the best of my understanding, it had to fail. What I missed here?
Options
2019-12-31 15:07:36

@Nirt 

That's exactly the problem. This issue hasn't been fixed for months now. :(

I am currently using an Asus accesspoint to provide a real separate guest network. 

I feel sad that TP-Link is taking so long to address security issues like this.

I can't recommend any Deco unit to anyone this way.

Options
2019-12-31 20:10:44 - last edited 2019-12-31 20:20:27

@Nirt 

It has been said several times, guest network works properly only when deco in router mode. 

@wtf if your M5 are in AP mode, and you connect through them, it is to be expected that guest network is not isolated...

FYI, working in AP mode AND having guest network isolated at the same time is technically a bit tricky to say the least, as by default, you are not supposed to route anything in that mode.

To be completely honest, I even doubt that this can be achieved without requiring some rules on the front/isp router, or having the guest network connect privately to a Tp-link managed external gateway...

A bad implementation would be to simply disable access to private ip addresses classes. 

Options
2019-12-31 20:23:49

@wtf 

Different IP ranges would not fit the requirement of isolation. This would most probably make it more difficult to reach internal network as users would have to fiddle with network mask, but would not achieve proper isolation.

Options
2020-01-01 08:04:56

@Glassman1976 

My deco in router mode, and still, I get access to the local device in my network.

what i do wrong?

Options
2020-01-01 08:11:35

@Nirt 

Are all your devices behind the Deco? 

Can you please give some details on your network topology? 

Options
2020-01-01 10:40:39

@Glassman1976 

"Are all your devices behind the Deco?" - I think no, only Wireless devices.

"Can you please give some details on your network topology?" - 

Options
Related Articles