Deco P7 ethernet fail?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P7 ethernet fail?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco P7 ethernet fail?
Deco P7 ethernet fail?
2019-11-08 18:59:45 - last edited 2019-11-20 09:47:43
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Hello everyone,

Four weeks ago i bough myself the TP-Link Deco P7 mesh network setup.

2 sets of 3, so six deco's in total.

Very easy to set up. Full wifi throughout the entire house, perfect.

Week later, I began wiring the deco's. Bought a TP-Link switch, set it up, rebooted the whole show and voila: full wifi & full speeds!
The only reason wiring the setup is for better internet speed. 

But I won't be here if it wasn't for some troubles lately. Started last weekend.
Deco's dropping out of network, unreachable with the app.
Restarting won't help. Reset to factory / wifi works perfectly. As soon as I use ethernet, they flip.

Been going back and forth like this. Sometimes I got all of them to work. But within ten minutes the first deco's start to go offline. Sometimes they come back up online by themself, but more frequent they don't come back at all. 

Yesterdag evening I took all deco's in one room. Reset the entire network. Started from scratch.
No problem. Got them all working via Ethernet. Functioned perfect the entire night.
Started moving the deco's in there permanent location and halfway in and the first deco already went offline.
Decided to start over, like last night. Reset the entire setup. Could not get past 2 deco's to connect via ethernet. Took me almost an hour to get the 2 deco's working via ethernet.
Started adding more deco's via wifi. No problem. But as soon as I wire more deco's via ethernet, the enitre network just freaks. New deco's won't connect, deco's already added to the network will fail. 

Can't help but thinking; this used to work perfectly almost 3 weeks in a row!
As far as I can tell, nothing in or around my house has changed.

If I remove the ethernet - I can get the whole show up and running within ten minutes. I think there is nothing wrong with the deco's itself.
Can't trace back the troubles to one single device, they all freak out in random order.

Switch and deco's have the latest software update. Been very happy with the way things worked up until last weekend.

So please, shoot! I don't have any clue how to get this funtioning properly.

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P7 ethernet fail?-Solution
2019-11-19 17:13:45 - last edited 2019-11-20 09:47:43

Thanks for the reply guys.

Used the system by wifi for the last few weeks. Got fed up with the speed.

Gave all the deco's the reset, threw away the network, and started over as if new.
Worked like charm first time up. Connected by ethernet, dito.
Running for 72hrs straight now, no problem at all. No idea what caused all the issues last time.
Fixed for now!

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco P7 ethernet fail?
2019-11-09 15:07:03

@Rag_wesjuh I think the ethernet ports are to connect other devices to the lan/wan. The P7 communicates over the power line and the over WLAN and not over the ethernet ports. Looks like it crashes in this configuration. When you want to connect over ethernet, you need the Deco E4 (I think).

Options
2019-11-12 10:12:25

@Rag_wesjuh 

The Deco can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless, so ethernet connection is not the point.

We can do further troubleshooting to get more information and try to fix it.

1. What is the current network diagram? How do you connect them together? 

2. What is the model number of the switch? 

3. What is the led status of the Deco when the main Deco shows offline? And any error message pops up on the Deco app? Plesae show us a picture of it. 

4. When the Deco stops working, please connect your computer to the modem directly bypass the Deco and verify whether you can get internet. If Deco uses PPPoE, you can create the PPPoE connection on the computer to do a test. Instruction as below: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/921/ (here takes Windows 10 as example)

5. Besides, when Deco shows offline, please connect your computer to the main Deco directly and verify whether you can get internet and check the IP and gateway obtained. Here is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/838/

6. As you mentioned, the Deco mesh wifi system works well when they connect to each other by wireless, so the Deco should be fine, but may have something wrong about the installation. Try to remove the switch and connect the Deco by wired cable to verify whether it works well; and try to change another ethernet cable with better quality. 

7. What is more, try to swap the locations of the Deco to verify whether it is Deco itself or the configuration/network environment. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Options
Re:Deco P7 ethernet fail?-Solution
2019-11-19 17:13:45 - last edited 2019-11-20 09:47:43

Thanks for the reply guys.

Used the system by wifi for the last few weeks. Got fed up with the speed.

Gave all the deco's the reset, threw away the network, and started over as if new.
Worked like charm first time up. Connected by ethernet, dito.
Running for 72hrs straight now, no problem at all. No idea what caused all the issues last time.
Fixed for now!

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-11-20 09:47:22

@Rag_wesjuh 

Thanks for reply. Glad to know that it works properly now.

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 985

Replies: 4