VR600v behind another router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VR600v behind another router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:VR600v behind another router?
2019-11-11 09:13:14

@NBN2020 

Cause the Archer VR600v works as the DSL modem router by default, if you want to install it behind another router, you need configure it as the wireless router mode or access point mode. 

The instruction to configure it as wireless router mode is https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1731/

While cause there is a router already, to avoid double NAT issue, it is suggested to configure it as an access point.

Instructions as below: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-vr600v/#video 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2655/

May it help. 

Options
2019-11-11 10:14:49

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the reply. I have followed the guides and it does not work. I have wasted way too much time. I have factory reset it and will return it to the shop and buy a different brand.

Even if the device was free it is not worth the waste of time and frustration.

Options
2019-11-12 03:42:25

@NBN2020 

I see, sorry for the inconvenience. You can return it and get a network expansion device directly, like range extender or access point. 

To those who may concern, when the Archer VR600v works as a wireless router, the modem/router need connect to the LAN4/WAN port of the VR600v; And when it works as an access point, we need change the IP to the same subnet, disable DHCP server and connect the LAN port to the main router to make it work. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-12 03:59:48 - last edited 2019-11-12 04:27:35

@Kevin_Z 

I bought the VR600v because I need a new modem & router for upcoming NBN fibre connection and I wanted to test the wifi and VoIP features in the meantime. I would have been using the full modem router in the near future.

Even when the internet did work through the VR600v with bridge mode the voip still would not register. I enter the same details into any sip app and it works.

I connected the two routers with Ethernet cable into the WAN port of the VR600v. I set the VR to wireless router mode and IP to the same subnet as main router. I also disable DHCP server and reboot both routers.

I will buy a different brand modem and router for my new connection.

Thanks

Options
2019-11-12 05:48:54

@Kevin_Z 

A quick question, do the other lan ports work or are they disabled when in 'bridge' mode?

Options
2019-11-13 07:30:31

@NBN2020 

The Archer VR600v supports VOIP functionw hen it works in wireless router mode.

As you mentioned, you connect the main router to the WAN port of the Archer VR600v and change it to wireless router mode, theoretically, the VOIP will work once you set it up; while cause you changed the IP to the same subnet and disabled the DHCP server, first, the LAN IP and WAN IP cannot be in the same subnet; and you need setup static IP for the clients which connect to the VR600v to make it access internet. 

Anyway, like I said before, we value and respect any decision you made, you can order another device to satisfy your needs, and hope there will be a chance to work with you in the future. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-13 07:33:29

@MarkP1 

What do you mean bridge mode? At our side, bridge mode means that the DSL modem router works as a pure modem, which is used to synchronize the DSL connection, no other usage. Then you need connect another router to it by wired cable and configure it with the parameters given by ISP to make it work. 

While if you means the wireless router mode or access point mode, the LAN ports still work, and you can connect your device to the LAN port to get internet.

May it help. 

Options
Related Articles