Time Machine for AX6000 is missing options to set login / password?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-20 12:05:51
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just got the AX6000 and one of the features that appealed to me was the fact that I could use Time Machine on it. On other models you could set a username and password however on this model in the guide it just says to turn it on and point to a connected drive.

Now, when I try to connect to it it requests for a username and a password. Blank won't let me enter, admin / admin doesn't work, I set a username and password in USB sharing, that didn't work either. It attempts to connect but ends up in a failure message always.

Is this a bug?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Time Machine for AX6000 is missing options to set login / password?
2019-12-03 06:20:28

@jbouw 

Below is the instruction to setup Time Machine on the router. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1564/

As you can see, there is no option to set login username and password under Time Machine page; instead, it uses the same U/P for the HDD to access it. 

You can give it a go first; if does not work, please show us two pictures-- first is the picture of the USB storage Device page on AX6000; second is the picture on your MAC. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-02-01 07:59:35

@jbouw did you ever resolve this?  I have the same issue... always getting a OSStatus error 2.   No other password besides the TP Link admin has been set...

Options
2020-04-16 22:52:29
Has anyone solved this? Same issue here...
Options
2020-05-22 02:37:58

Same problem

Options
2021-04-14 01:38:55

@yavoh000 

Hello, below is the instruction to set up the Time Machine feature on the Archer AX6000, you can confirm whether the configuration steps are correct.
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2729/

Have you ever encrypted your USB disk? What is the model number of it and what about the capacity and formats?

Please show us a screenshot of the error message you saw as well.

BTW, you may check if matt_film's suggestions will help:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/187834?replyId=435004

Options
2021-05-09 23:22:40

@jbouw  I was having this same issue. What ended up fixing it for me was adding "access authentication" (aka username and password) to the disk in the router admin. See attached #1. When Time Machine asked to connect to the router, I then entered these credentials and it was able to add "BackupTM" as a Time Machine disk. 

Step #2... even though that added the disk to Time Machine, MacOS couldn't actually start a backup. I need to ALSO go into Finder and connect to the disk there. See attached #2. 

After that, Time Machine started backing up fine. We shall see how sticky these settings are. Fingers crossed it will "just work" from now on.

Hope that helps someone. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1816

Replies: 6

Related Articles