Android TV won't connect to WIFI when MESH functionality is turned on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-22 14:35:22
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023

I've created a new thread for this problem, I posted this a while back in a thread which was already flagged with a solution (which wasn't a solution, but ok ;) ) That probably means the thread won't get much attention.

Hello,

Fast update, I've updated to the newest firmware. (Deco M9 Plus1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023) Which allows you to turn of Mesh Technology for connected devices. I'm sorry to say that my TV (Philips (55PUS6401/12) with Android 8.0.0) still won't connect to wifi when enabling fast roaming. My original problem still exists with this newest firmware.

2 Deco's connected via cables to a switch and that switch isconnected to a modem. Third Deco is on the first floor connected via WIFI.The TV is in a room about 4 meters (12 feet) from the Deco which is connected via cable to the switch.

Steps done:

1. Fast roaming turned off. This is how I have to use my network now.
  2. Turned mesh technology off for my TV (around 22:00 (or 10 pm)
  3. Until now everything works fine and all devices are able to connect to my Deco's
  4. Turned on Fast Roaming
  5. TV loses wifi connection and other devices still work
    1. I can't get the tv to connect, not via the main WIFI or Guest network and WPS doesn't work either. 

So while I think this newest firmware has a lot of great features, it still doesn't let me use fast roaming. Which is actually the reason I bought de Deco's.

I hope this information helps and if you have any questions let me know!

Options
32 Reply
Re:Android TV won't connect to WIFI when MESH functionality is turned on
2019-11-22 18:02:53 - last edited 2019-11-22 18:03:17

@ScreenNameNL Fast roaming (802.11r) is not that big of a deal when using WPA2 Personal. You will still have 802.11k, which will switch to a deco with best signal under 50 miliseconds.

https://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless-infrastructure/wifi-fast-roaming-simplified

Options
2019-11-22 19:39:55

@levo thanks for your answer. If that's true then it's not working for me correctly. My daughters iPad keeps connected to the deco on the ground level when she's on the second level.(assuming she started downstairs)  If she turns off wifi and on again the iPad switches to the deco on the first level. 

if I understand your answer her iPad should switch automatically over. This doesn't happen and is something I would expect to happen when turning on fast roaming. 

Options
2019-11-22 19:52:55 - last edited 2019-11-22 23:34:36

Fast roaming with 802.11r only authenticates faster, and that switch in Deco app only turns off 802.11r (at least that's what it says).

"With 802.11k, the AP can respond to Wi-Fi clients’ Neighbor Report request, let them understand the RF environment around them better. As a result, it helps them select a stronger signal, decrease the time used to scan the surrounding Wi-Fi, and have a better roaming." https://www.tp-link.com/tr/support/faq/2097/

I've 3 Deco P7s and my iPhone X switches between them seamlessly. You can find model/OS requirements here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202628

And Apple has a great support page explaining wireless roaming https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203068

Options
2019-11-26 10:56:09

@levo thanks so much for your answer, I will read your provided links and see if I can learn something more about this technology.

Options
2019-11-26 21:55:56

@ScreenNameNL 

my Android tv with Oreo 8.0 (Sony) cannot connect to wifi even if fast roaming is disabled...

Options
2019-11-27 02:55:44

@ScreenNameNL 

Thanks for your requesting; Cause the TV can connect to the wifi with fast roaming disabled, that is why we marked it as the best solution on another thread. 

Back to your case, we received some feedback and found that the root cause is that the TV does not support fast roaming segment which blocks TV to connect to the Deco wifi network; generally speaking, with the fast roaming enabled, the fast transmisson segment will be included on the beacon frame, it is optional, devices which support it can acheive 802.11r roaming much better, others which do not support just ignore it;  It seems that the TV does not support and refuse to connect to it.

You can disable it to make TV work as a workaround. 

For the linked Deco issue, it seems that the signal strength obtained by ipad from ground level Deco does not reach the threshold value which failed to trigger band/AP steering; you can move the Deco further away from each other; Besides, we will work on it and try to improve it via the firmware upgrade. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-11-27 02:56:49

@Petrinho 

Is there any error message pops up? 

Try to disable 5GHz and enable 2.4GHz only to connect the TV to the Deco wifi network. 

Besides, you can enable guest network to give it a go.

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-23 02:06:11 - last edited 2020-01-23 02:11:37

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I do have same issue here with mu TV sony X900F and my Deco M9 Plus (firmware 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023). I tried to deactivate fast roaming enabling guest network with only 2,4 GHz but my TV still can't connect. Any idea ?

Thanks

Options
2020-02-03 16:24:31 - last edited 2020-02-03 16:26:27

@Kevin_Z I do have different Sony smart TV's, one running Android 8 and other 7 (or 9 and 8, can not remember and no models at hand to report). Both of them do not connect to network, but I just saw that fast roaming might be an answer. Will test this tonight.

My current workaround is to disable security completely!!!. Big NO NO NO :)

I've made a guest network with disabled security (fast roaming enabled) and it connects immedaitely. Once I put password - I get error on TV that connection is refused. 

I have 5 x M9+ unit and would like to see this issue resolved.

PS, I've tried only on 2.4GHz, 5GHz and whhile both bands are on - no difference

Options
2020-02-04 05:14:41

@ArnaudM79 

Hello, can it detect the Deco's 2.4GHz network? Is there any error message if it failed to connect to it?

Try to connect the main Deco to the modem only, with other slave Decos unplugged; then disable fast roaming and disable 5GHz to give it a go.

If still the same, you can contact the tech support of the TV to get some help.

May it help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 16522

Replies: 32