Deco m4 set up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco m4 set up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco m4 set up
Deco m4 set up
2019-11-28 10:29:00 - last edited 2019-12-02 02:26:48
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 build 20190620

Hi I have just bought the Deco m4 and I am a bit unsure if I have set it up the best way possible. 

I installed it using the default as a router. That seemed fine except the new deco WiFi was visible and my old 2.4 and 5 ghz networks were also available to connect to. 

I could connect to any which didn't seem a problem except my son's xbox would not work on the deco WiFi, which is what I wanted, as the slave is in his room. 

I was getting a double nat error, whatever that is. I wasn't sure if it was because there were multiple wifi networks on the one line. 

I could only get it working by changing the set up to an access point. 

I don't really know what the difference is or the pros and cons of either? 

I can still connect to any of three wifi networks, the deco one and the two different router frequency ones. 

To have it in router mode, do I need to turn off the wifi on the original router or something? 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco m4 set up -Solution
2019-11-29 01:09:51 - last edited 2019-12-02 02:26:51

@Tucker 

To avoid the double NAT issue, first you can configure the Deco as the access point mode, then only the old router works as the DHCP server. 

You can click here to get the difference between router mode and AP mode. 

Second, you can configure the old router as bridge mode or access point mode. If it is DSL connection, you can configure the old router as bridge mode and configure the Deco as the main router; if it is the ethernet connection, you can connect to Deco directly and set it up a router, then you can use the old router as an access point to boost the wifi. 

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-12-02 02:26:43 - last edited 2019-12-02 02:26:48

@Tucker 

Thanks for your reply. 

You can setup the DSL modem router as the bridge mode, then the Deco will work in wireless router mode and you can enjoy the advanced features. 

For the instruction to switch it to the bridge mode, you can contact their tech support to get some help. 

Best regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco m4 set up
2019-11-29 00:07:00

@Tucker 

in Router mode your decos are meant to replace your existing router/wifi device.

if you want to keep your existing router then you will need to set up the decos in access point mode, you can change the mode in the advanced settings in the app.

Options
2019-11-29 01:09:51 - last edited 2019-12-02 02:26:51

@Tucker 

To avoid the double NAT issue, first you can configure the Deco as the access point mode, then only the old router works as the DHCP server. 

You can click here to get the difference between router mode and AP mode. 

Second, you can configure the old router as bridge mode or access point mode. If it is DSL connection, you can configure the old router as bridge mode and configure the Deco as the main router; if it is the ethernet connection, you can connect to Deco directly and set it up a router, then you can use the old router as an access point to boost the wifi. 

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco m4 set up
2019-11-29 08:31:10 - last edited 2019-11-29 08:32:11

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks. What I think I want to do is set up the deco in router mode and not have the double nat issue. 

How do I use the deco as the router and ensure the xbox works? 

Do I have to do something to the bt router settings to deactivate the WiFi or something? The original router is dsl. 

Options
2019-12-02 02:26:43 - last edited 2019-12-02 02:26:48

@Tucker 

Thanks for your reply. 

You can setup the DSL modem router as the bridge mode, then the Deco will work in wireless router mode and you can enjoy the advanced features. 

For the instruction to switch it to the bridge mode, you can contact their tech support to get some help. 

Best regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2197

Replies: 4

Related Articles