Parental controls (C2300) somtimes "opposite"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-29 07:59:52
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20180810 Rel. 62903

Archer C2300 parental controls.

I've found that, sometimes the device seems to get into a state where the parental control for a device is not displayed correctly.

1) Pause button is shown on the UI but Internet for that device is already paused
2) Play button is shown on the UI but Internet for that device is available.

This has caused some confusion and aggravation, to say the least!

Workaround seems to be, to toggle it several times.

Whilst here, better use of colour to indicate the current state would help - cyan on white is not always the easiest to discern in a small icon.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Parental controls (C2300) somtimes "opposite"
2019-12-02 05:36:36

@Zaphod66 

The pause/play button indicates the current internet access status of the corresponding profile, so it is normal. When the pause button shows up, that means all the devices in this profile have been restricted from internet access, vice versa. 

Note: These devices still are managed by the parental control settings. 

For the other request, we have noted that and will forward it to our product engineer team. 

Besides, below is the instruction to setup the parental control and some explanation. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2386/

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-07 15:38:59 - last edited 2019-12-07 15:42:00

@Kevin_Z Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately your answer seems to contradict to what the link that you provided states (screenshot below).

And what I've found is clear - since I have more than one profile - sometimes the behavioural state of one filter seems to be opposite to the icon shown.

I suggest the team need to look at this more closely.

Thanks

Options
2019-12-09 07:51:06

@Zaphod66 

Hello, icon A means "Play", once you click it, it will change to icon B, will means "Pause", in this way, all the devices in this profile will be restriceted from internet access, vice versa. Once it changes from B to A, that means you enable access again. We need notice the status once you click it, not the current status before you hit it. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-09 08:14:36 - last edited 2019-12-09 08:15:02

@Kevin_Z OK, well, sorry but...since about the 1960's, when the magnetic cassette tape was invented, the icon you labelled "A" has meant "PAUSE" and "B" has meant "PLAY". 
For the avoidance of doubt: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_control_symbols

If what you write here is indeed correct, you might want a word with your developers...

Options
2019-12-09 08:23:30

@Kevin_Z  Having re-read your answer 3 more times, perhaps we are not at odds, but your meaning would be clearer if you wrote:

Hello, icon A means "Pause" because "Internet is Playing", once you click it, it will change to icon B, which means "Play" because "Internet is now paused"; in this way, all the devices in this profile will be restriceted from internet access, vice versa. Once it changes from B to A, that means access is enabled again. We need notice the status once you click it, not the current status before you hit it. 

Now, this is exactly what I had understood, and my experience most of the time.

What I am saying and the reason why I started this thread, is that sometimes, the state of the displayed icon becomes out-of-sync with the state of the Internet enablement, and the wrong icon is shown.  I've been able to "fix" it by clicking the icon 2 or 3 times.

Options
2021-09-07 16:56:12
Your right. Same observation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 795

Replies: 6

Related Articles