Can't connect directly to modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-30 02:38:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

During setup everyhting goes great until it checks the internet connection, then the light goes red and it will not work. This only happens if I plug the Deco directly into the modem like you are supposed to do. If I plug it into the old router, it will connect just fine but that kind of defeats the purpose. any ideas on why this is happening? Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Can't connect directly to modem
2019-12-01 16:32:38

@jandrews0724  Same problem

Modem/Router (in RouterMode) - Wired - DecoM4 (RouterMode or AccessMode) WORKING

Modem/Router (in BridgeMode) - Wired - DecoM4 (RouterMode PPPOE) NOT WORKING

Called ISP and they said no device is trying to connect to their modem/router.

After Deco reset, same problem.

Options
2019-12-01 21:48:14

well after fighting with it all night I put it aside until the next day. tried a couple times and almost gave up but then I decided to try to set it up with one of the other units. Worked like a charm and then I was able to slave the other 2 with no issues. Not sure why it worked but it did.

Options
2019-12-02 02:46:02

@jandrews0724 

Thanks for your update, glad to hear that you figured it out.

@Jorj 

When it connects to the old router directly, it can get IP address automatically from the old router to get internet;  With connected it to the modem directly, you need configure the Deco with the credentials given by ISP to make it work, like the username and password. 

Besides, please ensure that there is no mac filtering or mac binding at ISP's end. 

Or you can hard reset the Deco or change another unit to give it a go. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-02 19:57:30

@jandrews0724 

I have a similar problem: neither of my two Decos can establish a PPOE connection (They make a DHCP connection immediately, but this is not an acceptable option).

The Deco M4, however, works flawlessly. (all updated to latest firmware). If I change the main DECO from M4 to any M5 I lose the connection. 

Is there any solution to this problem as I would like the M5 to be the primary DECO because of its functionality.

Thanks

Options
2019-12-03 02:36:54

@Gregor_F 

Below is the instruction to setup slave Deco as the main Deco. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

The Deco supports PPPoE connection, you can give it a go first. 

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1706

Replies: 5

Related Articles