Deco P9 - CPL backhaul does not seem to be used

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-02 13:42:10 - last edited 2019-12-02 13:51:54
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Hello,

I just purchased the Deco P9 mesh WiFi (x3) set, installed all 3 units and got them working together. Unfortunately, I suspect that the CPL backhaul is not in use, given that I get very poor speeds when on the other side of the house, right next to one of the P9 units. All 3 units have a constant white light, they all report as OK in the app. When I move the far away P9 unit a bit closer in the direction of the master unit (as far as the power cable reaches of course), the speed gets better, which proves that the units are connected over WiFi rather than CPL. I chose the P9 line especially because of the CPL backbone feature, not sure what I am missing here.

Next to the master P9 unit, I get 490 MB/s, next to the far away P9 unit, I get around 45 MB/s.

PS: My electric installation is CPL friendly, never had issues using CPL before at home

Any suggestions as of what might be going on here?

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - CPL backhaul does not seem to be used
2019-12-03 03:10:17

@mdundek 

There is no LED light which indicates the status of the powerline (PLC) backhaul, unlike Deco P7; while there is a plan to add this feature on the Deco P9 via the firmware upgrade already. You can keep an eye on official website for the updates.

Back to your case, we can do some troubleshooting to locate this issue and try to fix it. 

1. Next to the far away Deco, what is the speed you can get from the main Deco with your smart phone or computer? 

2. Try to swap the locations of the slave Decos to verify whether it is the Deco itself or the network environment(distance/obstacles).

3. You can setup the slave Deco as the main Deco to give it a go. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

4. Besides, try to change another wall socket to plug the far away Deco P9 and test the speed.  Please click here to check the wireless negotiation speed from the far away Deco as well. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-03 10:50:40 - last edited 2019-12-03 10:52:58

Yep, had the same problem.  And after looking at the wall plugs, which do not even seem to need a ground connection, I lost faith and  ended up returning the units. 

Options
2019-12-29 10:51:04

@realjax do you mean an earth connection? Is that important? Is that what is normally used for Powerline data transmission?

I am seeing the same poor performance and am doubting the Powerline backhaul is working at all.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2174

Replies: 3

Related Articles