Deco M9+ via coax router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9+ via coax router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M9+ via coax router
Deco M9+ via coax router
2019-12-03 07:42:19
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I have a set with 3 Deco M9. I have a combined router/modem via cable (coax).

How should i set up the Network to her best signal and coverage

Should I set the router to bridge mode and use the deco as router? And then the 2 other decos will be "extenders"?

or 

Should I keep the standard router setup and use the deco as 3 access points?

I am confused as the tutorials i see mention nothing about bridge mode.

Thanks a lot

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ via coax router
2019-12-03 10:57:53

@CasperS I think it depends on how much you want to keep your existing router and whether your existing router has features on it that you make use of?

Unless you have a good reason to use your existing router as a router then I would place it into bridge/modem mode (some routers name these modes differently so you may need to ask the manufacturer). This way the existing router just terminates the physical connection and passes the line onto the Deco. So you would have your coax into the existing router then plug an RJ-45 network cable into your Deco from your existing router.

You miss out on a fair amount of features if you just use access points mode. e.g. you can't use the parental controls/port forwarding/anti-virus etc.

Options
2019-12-03 13:30:46
Great - I will do that. THX for Quick reply
Options
2019-12-04 02:38:29

@CasperS 

Like Bozmoz said, both options are good; you can choose one of them based on the actual network request. 

In regular router mode and AP mode, the Deco M9 plus still provide a mesh network; while some advanced features are not supported in AP mode, like parental control. 

Below is the difference between the two operation modes. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/

So if you want to use these services, router mode would be better. 

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1351

Replies: 3