Deco M9 Plus considerable speed difference between Router and AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-04 17:30:09
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

I see considerable speed version between Router and AP mode. Routers mode gets me 800+ mbps whereas AP mode only provides 500+ mbps. Both tests were run around same time and has been performed multiple times.

In terms of network topology, there is no change between two modes which is Modem to Asus Router to Deco M9 Plus.

Please advise reason for the difference.

Options
17 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus considerable speed difference between Router and AP mode
2019-12-05 09:25:52

@rajsh 

May I know what is the speed you can get from the ASUS modem directly when the Deco works in router mode and AP mode both? 

And how did you test the speed? Which website did you use? Please show us a screenshot of the speed test result. 

Thanks in advance. 

Options
2019-12-14 22:40:29

@Kevin_Z  In AP Mode it's 490 Mbps whereas in Router mode it's 840+ Mbps.

Test was performed directly from Deco device through Deco App. Please see screenshots below.

Theoritically it should be other way around. AP Mode should perform faster than router mode as lots of Router functionalities are removed/disabled.

Please advise solution to fix this.

in AP Mode:-

In Router Mode:-

Options
2019-12-29 05:51:26

@Kevin_Z  Any insight / suggestions here for such a drastic difference in the speed between two modes?

Options
2020-02-06 12:21:31

@rajsh 

I'm having this exact same issue. Have you ever found a solution?

Options
2020-02-11 12:46:27

@rajsh 

Model: Deco M9 Plus
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

I have noticed too that my speed tests are limited to about 500MBps on the download link with my Deco's all hardwired to my router in AP mode. Funny enough, the upload speed seems to be less affected. The download speed tests on my router yelids a 1.07GBps download speed from the same Speedtest server. Unfortunatly I am not able to easliy test the Deco in router mode, without completely reconfiguring my network topography.

Options
2020-02-11 17:28:33

@JohnnyBoy Thats what it seems that download speed has some cap setup.. don't know why but still awaiting response from TP-Link on this.

Options
2020-02-13 20:47:42

@rajsh I am also seeing the exact same scenario.  

My network:

1) ATT Gigabit fiber using the ATT gateway configured as the router.

2) Three M9 plus Deco's (firmware: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023) configured in AP mode. 

3) The main Deco is plugged into one of the ports on the ATT Gateway. 

4) The other two Deco's are setup using Ethernet Backhaul through a TP-Link switch which is connected to another port on the ATT Gateway.

5) My desktop PC is connected via ethernet to one of the ports on the TP-LINK switch via ActionTec Moca Bonded 2.0 adapters.

My desktop PC will get roughly 900MB download and 800MB upload speeds running Speedtest to the ATT Kansas City server.

When I run Deco speed test from the app, it also connects to the ATT server in Kansas City.  The results always come back at about 495MB download and 750MB upload.

Does indeed seem that the Deco has some sort of issue or design configuration that limits the download speed to 500MB when in AP mode.

I have not tried changing the Deco to router mode to test the speed.  Though, I don't think that should be necessary.  It should run at the same speed in both modes.

Hopefully, they will come up with a fix in the next firmware release.

Options
2020-04-18 17:07:49

@rajsh same issue here. Not sure why they did that. Now, to fully utilize my bandwidth, i had to be in router mode and

Options
2020-04-23 01:17:49
Same issue. My deco is connected directly to fiber router. I get about 400mbps in AP mode.
Options
2020-06-10 00:11:23

@Kevin_Z Hi Kevin, It's almost 6 months since I have provided you the screenshots of speed difference from Deco app itself and I have seen numerous other people are facing the same issue. Is there any update regarding considerable speed difference in AP Vs. Router mode?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5896

Replies: 17

Related Articles