Optimal positioning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Optimal positioning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Optimal positioning
Optimal positioning
2019-12-04 21:47:35
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

i have recently bought a 3 pack deco M9 plus set.  Installation was straight forward.  I have two questions:

- what setting is preferred?  Router or Access Point.  
- how can I determine the best location for the individual devices? Can that be measured?

best regards,

wim

Options
4 Reply
Re:Optimal positioning
2019-12-04 23:58:38

@WimPijn 

router mode is preferred but if you want to keep your existing router then use AP mode.

Connecting the Decos to the main deco using Ethernet backhaul will give the best performance.

for optimal positioning you might be interested in making a heatmap of wireless coverage for your home.

Ekahau is a good developer of software for this and they make the industry standard tool for site surveying and WiFi planning.They have a free tool for consumer/home use which is worth taking a look at. 

other apps that can help you optimise are WiFi Explorer (MacOS) and AirTool (MacOS) These let you look into what channels are in use, channel utilisation etc which will help you decide on how to deploy in the least RF congested areas.

Options
2019-12-05 07:13:15

@WimPijn 

Deco M9 plus can build  up the mesh network system both in router mode and AP mode; while there are some differences betweem them. You can read the below instruction. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/

Besides, to determine the best location, first you can use the Deco app which indicates the signal source(signal strength) to help you to locate the slave Deco. The signal strength with 2 or 3 bars would be better. 

Or you can use some third party programme to test the signal strength at different locations to choose the best one, like the wifi analyzer. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-13 15:31:26

@WimPijn I have connected two of the three devices to ethernet and tried some different positions in the hous. It's working fine now. Thanks for your responses.

Options
2019-12-14 02:02:07 - last edited 2019-12-14 16:44:08

@WimPijn Use any wifi tool to measure SNR (Signal-to-Noise). Place all Deco with 24db+. If you got at least 24db  between each deco you got optimum performance

My network @ home with 5 decos M5. And at any place of my home i have at least 24db of SNR, forgot Signal, SNR is best way to adjust your network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3559

Replies: 4

Related Articles