M9 plus as an AP on a Connect Box (ziggo)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-05 22:40:27
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Sorry for my thick question. I do have an IPTV box and a modem/router (connect box). My wifi and LAN are all plugged into my CB router. Since i now got a 2 story apartment i feel the wifi upstairs to leave much to demand for.. I was wondering if I could increase wifi speed if I loop in a pair of M9 plus' as AP. Does that mean they run parallel to the wifi coming from the CB? I cannot bridge it (i 've to call support so they do that remotely hence I'm hesitating) alas the idea of using them in AP mode. Will the overall wifi speed decrease cause of those 2 networks? I assume the m9 can operate its own mesh even as AP? Should I switch off the 2.4 and 5gHz radios in the CB so all wifi comes from the m9? is there any speed difference depending on the mode of operation router vs ap? I am also hesitating to bridge the CB as my Sonos Playbase and xiaomi TV box are hooked to it by LAN whereas the m9 has rather limited options LAN-wise. soooorrryyy

Options
3 Reply
Re:M9 plus as an AP on a Connect Box (ziggo)
2019-12-06 03:36:22

@FelixBeijing 

The Deco supports mesh network in router mode and AP mode both. You can use the Deco M9 plus to boost the wifi signal.

If you want to keep the wifi network frm the CB, then there will be two wireless networks; or you can disable the wifi function of the CB and use the Deco mesh network only. 

While I have to say that we cannot guarantee the speed you can get cause the speed is affected by many factors, including the capability of the main router, distance, obstacles and so on. It varies due to the actual network environment. 

For the wired connection, you can try to configure the Deco M9 plus as the main router and then confgure the CB as the router/AP mode to provide more ethernet connection. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-06 11:45:36 - last edited 2019-12-06 14:13:40

@Kevin_Z  

Thanks. does that mean it establishes their own Mesh wifi next to the one of the router (CB)? Do they interfere? would it be better to switch off the routers wifi radio and let only the APs wifi open?

Or does the Deco extends the original Wifi network? what would be best to not decrease speed throughout?

Ah sorrry saw your full answer. Have to figure out if its possible to set the CB in ap mode

also, is it possible to attach a switch to the first (wired to router in bridge mode) Deco so to not loose all the ethernet ports which are rendered useless setting the ConnectBox to bridge?

Thanks a bunch

Options
2019-12-09 02:36:52

@FelixBeijing 

Hello, the Deco M9 plus will establishes their own mesh wifi network, there will be interference to some extent cause the wireless channel is limited. You can try to disable the wifi function of the CB router and use the Deco mesh network only. 

And you can attach a switch to the main Deco to provide more ethernet connection. 

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 997

Replies: 3

Related Articles