Deco M9 1.30 DNS problems (Pihole)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-11 07:06:52
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023

I am using a Pihole DNS as my DNS for my network. This works fine as long as I use the Deco systems in bridged mode, but as soon as I try using the Decos as Router I get problems. I experience intermittent DNS related timeouts, connection drops etc. 

I have tried with Deco Protections on and off in various configurations, srill the same problem. The DNS works with 3 other routers, directly against any phone/pc etc- it is not a Pihole DNS issue but a Deco issue.

Anyone that has successfully ran Deco M9 as router using custom specified DNS.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M9 1.30 DNS problems (Pihole)
2019-12-12 07:06:26

@YugeSupport 

We can do some troubleshooting to narrow it down and try to fix it. 

Have you ever tried to use the DNS obtained by itself automatically? Or try to change it to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to verify whether it works well. 

What is the Pi hole DNS you use? 

You can change the DNS on device itself to the pi hole DNS instead of changing it on the Deco app. 

May it help. 

Options
Re:Deco M9 1.30 DNS problems (Pihole)
2019-12-12 08:57:16

@YugeSupport 

I also use a Pi hole  instance as my DNS server. And like you, this only works when the Deco's are in AP mode. In my case that is because the Pi Hole also acts as a DHCP server and clashes with the Deco's DHCP server when the latter one is running in router mode. Maybe this is the case with your setup too?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2547

Replies: 2

Related Articles