How to get M9 to connect from slave deco to another ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-16 18:50:53
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

Maybe someone have had the same situation what i have now. I have a total of 6 Deco M9's in one network. These are located in different buildings, but the buildings are really near to each other. I have a problem that all of the Decos are trying to connect only to the main Deco, which of course is not the nearest one to others. That's why some of the Decos are disconnecting from the network really often.

So i would like to know how i get these Decos to connect to the Deco which have the strongest signal, most likely the nearest one ? This is one reason i bought these but i can't see any option in settings to do that. I hope you can help with this. Thank you.

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to get M9 to connect from slave deco to another ?
2019-12-17 02:58:21

@HR1982 

Thanks for your requesting; there is no option to force the front-end Deco yet; while we have noted that and will keep an eye on it and forward this request to our product department. 

Back to your case, it seems that the signal strength obtained by the slave Deco from the main Deco do not reach the threshold value, therefore no AP steering triggered. 

You can try to reboot them one by one from the furthest Deco to the main Deco to give it a go.

Besides, you can move them further away from each other. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-07-03 14:54:12

That's a very interesting topic for me as well.

I have 3 Deco m9-plus 1.4 and the 3rd one, the farthest, is connected to the main with a very poor signal, while the 2nd one is in the middle between the main and the 3rd.

When I purchased this solution, I was thinking that the mesh system was clever enough to link the closest and, by the way, my 2nd Deco in the row has very good signal.

@Kevin_Z, do you think there is hope the engineering could consider that as a possible new feature?

This would make perfect my current scenario.

Thanks a lot

Options
2020-10-21 08:23:10

@Massi

Massimo_Italy wrote

That's a very interesting topic for me as well.

I have 3 Deco m9-plus 1.4 and the 3rd one, the farthest, is connected to the main with a very poor signal, while the 2nd one is in the middle between the main and the 3rd.

When I purchased this solution, I was thinking that the mesh system was clever enough to link the closest and, by the way, my 2nd Deco in the row has very good signal.

@Kevin_Z, do you think there is hope the engineering could consider that as a possible new feature?

This would make perfect my current scenario.

Thanks a lot

mo_Italy  please let me know if you figured this out as I have the same issue and am using 6 M9 plus and seem as all wants to connect to the main DECO.  I tried to reboot and it does work sometime but it is random

Options
2020-10-21 15:48:06

@NickatNite I am sorry Nick, I didn't. And you are right, it is random. I tried applying the recommendation to ping continuously the farthest device (the main one) during the reboot of the slave, but it worked one time only, and now the situation is back. Annoying, indeed,

Options