Deco M5 Very Slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 Very Slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 Very Slow
Deco M5 Very Slow
2019-12-18 17:23:21 - last edited 2019-12-18 17:24:52
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

ISP is providing close to contract download speeds at around 18 mbps.

Deco wireless gives around 7 mbps with just a laptop and iphone connected.  Wired connection through the Deco is just 3 mbps.

FIrmware is up to date.  There are 3 units in the house.  I have tested these speeds with all other devices blacklisted, before that the speeds were slightly worse.

How do I get reasonable wifi and wired download speeds through Deco?

Thanks,

Diccon

Options
20 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Very Slow
2019-12-19 02:45:04

@Diccon 

What is the current network topology/layout? 

With your computer connected to the modem directly, please verify the actual speed you can get and the wired link speed as the instruction below; 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Please connect your computer to the main deco and test the speed you can get from it and check the wired link speed as well.
Note: Please show us a screenshot of the speed test result.

You can run the speedtest function via the Deco app and show us the result.

Besides, please connect your smart phone to the Deco's wiif and login to the deco app; click the settings button and then choose advanced>>IPv4>>Internet connection type and uncheck obtain DNS automatically and change the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and click save.

After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it work.

Have a great day.

Options
2019-12-19 15:28:23

Thanks @Kevin_Z 

Here is a summary, followed by screenshots for each reading.

The network consists of three deco units, two on the ground floor and one upstairs.

My wireless tests have been taken two feet from the main deco on the ground floor.

Direct wired to the modem:

Laptop:

Actual speed 100 mbps

Speedtest 17.51 mbps

Direct wired to Deco:

Laptop:

Actual speed 1gbps

Speedtest 7.93 mbps

Wireless:

Laptop:

Actual speed 54 mpbs

Speedtest 8.23 mbps

Cellphone:

6.8 mbps (as per Deco app)

After setting Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8:

Cellphone:

10 mbps

Laptop:

Actual 54 mbps

Speedtest 5.94 mbps

Options
2019-12-20 02:12:30

@Diccon 

Thanks for your valued reply. 

Please set application QoS to standard and clear all the high priority rules. And please do not set the total bandwidth on the QoS page. 

After that, please reboot the main Deco and connect PC--main Deco-- modem directly with others disconnected to test the speed you can get from the main Deco directly. 

At the same time, please test the speed on your cellphone via the Deco app and show us the results. 

Besides, try to swap the locations of the Deco units or change the slave Deco to main Deco to give it a go. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/ 

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-23 11:15:08

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin,

since your last reply, I had completed your suggestions and also received a request from another support technician suggesting a hard reset.

A hard reset has been completed and the firmware is up to date.

I then edited the primary DNS again to 8.8.8.8 as previously suggested.  

Unfortunately, still no improvement in download speed.

Are there any other options?

Thanks,

Diccon

Options
2020-05-07 10:01:14

@Diccon did you solve your problems? I am getting the same issue. 

Options
2020-05-07 11:13:07

@Brunofs - no, I gave up and eventually hardwired my main level sites in my house.

Since doing that, I have had much better wifi readings too, which makes me wonder if my PC was somehow interfering with the wifi.  Not exactly a good solution to the original wifi problem, but at least it is a work around.

Good luck with your issue.

Diccon

Options
2020-06-01 21:56:56

@Diccon Hi i have the same situation, i have upgraded the ISP speed to 300m but the system still working in 100. I have tried wired to a computer  but doesnt seems to solve it. PLease help

Options
2020-06-18 11:56:29

@RubenR  I am afraid I am not a technician and I have nothing to offer.  Since I responded to @Brunofs my wifi has gone right back down to almost nothing.  To my layperson's mind, it almost seems like the signal becomes congested.  You would think that a reboot would help, but it doesn't.

Options
2020-07-31 11:40:41

@RubenR Not a TP-link rep, but my five cents;

I had the same problem, even LAN on the Deco M5 was super slow. What did the trick for me was to change from the default mode (Router) to Access Point. Both LAN and Wifi increased from ~15M to 350M.

Options
2020-08-10 20:33:25

@mcn the same situacion.

I got a much better performance going to Access Point, but It's not de idea to sacrify so many functionalities just because de default mode implies an slow network. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 16044

Replies: 22

Related Articles