Connecting 2 DECO to my existing WIFI router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-20 15:21:22

Just aquired a set of AC1200. I was under the impression from the vendor that I could connect both units to my existing provider's WIFI router, keep that router on and transmitting WIFI, and connect each AC1200 as a AP. This would mean I loose mesh capabilities. Now it seems that I can only connect the first AC1200 to the router and that the second one has to connect to the first AC1200. My problem here is that they are too far away for efficient mesh over WIFI, and there is no cable run between them since the route from my current provider's router to the first AC unit is being used to connect that unit to said provider's router. So I have no cable run back that I could use.

Suggestions? Or do I have to return the AC1200 back to the shop?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Connecting 2 DECO to my existing WIFI router
2019-12-23 02:05:06

@NMGMarques 

Hello, we have multiple AC1200 products, could you please tell us the model number of the Deco you bought? It starts with Deco. Please tell me all of them. 

Back to your case, the Deco product can work in router/AP mode to build up the mesh network, there is one Deco, which is called Deco M3W cannot be connected to the main router or Deco by wired cable cause there is no ethernet port; It can work as the extender unit only. 

If you bought a Deco M3W and cannot connect it to the main router by wired cable, and no good wifi signal between the Deco units, you can return it and get another set of Deco, which have ethernet ports on them. Then you can connect them to the main router by ethernet cable to setup the mesh wifi network. 

May it help. 

Options
Re:Connecting 2 DECO to my existing WIFI router
2019-12-23 07:57:55

@Kevin_Z thanks for taking the time to reply. They are a pair of M4R. Since my post I have been able to connect both directly to my main router in what I think is AP mode. However, i have lost some of the Deco functionality along the way. I am considering replacing the main router with a different Deco device. The M4 wouldn't fit the available space. Do these devices mix and match? Could I connect all 3 via a switch without losing functionality? How would that impact the speeds and performance?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2920

Replies: 2

Related Articles