Deco P9 (3-pack) - How do you know if Powerline Backhaul is being utilized?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-23 14:12:54
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20199717 Rel. 71168

I cannot find any information within the Deco App (Android) to indicate whether Powerline Backhaul is active or being used.

Is there anyway to find out this information? For what it's worth, I'm running all of them in AP mode.

Options
17 Reply
Re:Deco P9 (3-pack) - How do you know if Powerline Backhaul is being utilized?
2019-12-24 02:05:27

@robschwieb 

Hello, sorry to tell you that there is no option to indicate whether the powerline backhaul is being utilized. While there is a plan to add the related feature over Deco P9 already. 

The feature will be supported with firmware upgrading, please keep an eye on official website or Deco app for the updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-26 14:36:50

@Kevin_Z  I think we all are having this issue. The system advertises that it has a piwerline backhaul. But the truth is, it doesn't seem to work. I bought the system because of the powerline feature, but after replacing my Orbi, i will go back to the Orbi system. Performance is much better and without the powerline delivering on its promise the Deco is pretty much worthless. My speed went down to 1Mb/s despite the green light on the powerline adaptor being on. As I said, almost false advertising. And no one wants to wait for another promised update.

Options
2019-12-27 09:32:31

@CMZ 

Hello, I totally understand what you felt, and I agree with you that it is important to add a display feature which indicates that the powerline backhaul takes effect. Our engineers are working on it now, anything new, we will post on the offiical website. 

Back to your case, we can do some troubleshooting regarding to the slow speed issue. 

1. The bandwidth you paid for your ISP.

2.  The speed you can get from the Deco P9 and the Orbi system. 

3. Try to connect the computer to the main Deco only to test the speed you can get; in other word, pc--Main Deco--modem. 

4. Try to swap the location of Deco nodes or configure the slave Deco as the main Deco. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/ 

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-27 10:22:22

@Kevin_Z Hi Kevin, thank you for the quick reply. I actually realized I posted at the wrong thread. I have a Deco P7 which indicates the quality of the CPL backhaul. My ight indicator on the plugs is green, but still dont get the promised CPL speed. It sees to me the CPL is simply not workingand I think this is what is causing everyone's negative comments. My first powerline modem had a simple app which showed me the quality of the link and speed between each modem (this was 12 years ago). Seems like Tp link is not quite there yet. Sorry for badtalking TP Link's Deco system and app, but I guess I should have done my research before buying the product. And thank you for the troubleshooting tips. I have tried all this. It is just simply that instead of using the CPL modem Deco only uses the low quality wifi link with a whopping 1MB throughput! I feel like in the good old dial up days (just surprised the Deco does not make the same noises my old Zyxel modem used to make ;)

Options
2019-12-27 12:26:40

@robschwieb I don't think it uses it at all.

I went from having two routers in my study and living room connected via powerline ethernet connectors. Although I had two wifi networks to manage, the connection between the two was far more reliable than between my two new P9s.

I think they are just using wifi and dropping out, rather than falling back to powerline. There needs to be an option in the admin console to force a powerline connection.

As a broader point, if a system advertises a feature that you can't see to verify and appears like it doesn't work, does it really exist at all?

Options
2019-12-29 10:47:16
Completely agree. On my iPhone which I assume is connecting to the nearest deco (again I can’t confirm as the app doesn’t tell you!) when on the second floor of the house in the guest bedroom which is furthest away from the main deco situated downstairs in the office my speed test drops to about 20MBs versus speed test when in office next to main deco of 90 Mbs. All decos show working well per the app and all connected via main house power sockets (nit extension sockets) so I assume the Powerline backhaul should be working but how do I know if it is or not?? I can only assume the Powerline backhaul isn’t working and connections and backhaul is being down via WiFi only due to the massive speed drop off when connected to the most remote deco. Thai is not acceptable. At least we should be able to test and confirm what is going on via the app or for more detailed information why is there no web ui?? If this isn’t resolved quickly I will have to return the units as not fit for purpose.
Options
2020-02-23 11:25:57

@Kevin_Z

Seems power is not used at all for p9.  Could you please indicate whether this is an issue that can be solved by firmware upgrade? Otherwise, i need to send them back! 

Options
2020-03-23 13:38:36

@Kevin_Z 

Any update on this? 

I too have noticed that the Powerline is not working when I removed a M5 inbetween 2 P9s.  No way to tell if this is working. 

What I may have to do is turn off all the M5s and put the powerlines at opposite ends of the house where I know the wifi signal will not reach and test.

Unless the firmware is updated in the next 2 weeks these are going back to Amazon as they don't appear to work and there is not way to tell, the firmware update is 4 months in the making from forum posts.

I bought the P9's because the M5's weren't doing the job, it just appears I have basically added another 3 M5's rather than getting any PowerLine. 

Options
2020-03-23 13:55:24

@Andy_Ho 

How TP-Link is handling these P9 issues a freaking joke.

I tried writing a review on Amazon warning people of their flaws and it was "denied".

I will NEVER  buy another TP-Link product as long as I live. I don't pay good money to be someone's beta tester and be promised updates that likely aren't even in the works. 

Options
2020-04-08 15:19:53 - last edited 2020-04-08 15:20:48

@Kevin_Z 

In one thread or another,since November 3 of 2019, you have told us there is a firmware update coming to address this and other issues.  It is now over 5 months without a resolution.  The reason that most of us bought the P9 is for this very feature which we cannot even confirm is even working or not.  Can someone - anyone - at TP Link provide an update on this advertised, but uncomfirmable, feature.  Please provide some information.  

Kevin_Z wrote

@robschwieb 

Hello, sorry to tell you that there is no option to indicate whether the powerline backhaul is being utilized. While there is a plan to add the related feature over Deco P9 already. 

The feature will be supported with firmware upgrading, please keep an eye on official website or Deco app for the updates. 

Good day. 

Options