Logging into the Deco app when the main Deco is disconnected from the internet.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-24 18:32:51 - last edited 2019-12-27 12:22:27
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just got the Deco P9s and started setting them up. So far I'm not massively impressed. They don't seem to "mesh" properly - the odd deco of the 3 pack drops off the network, and then the main Deco seems to drop the internet connection every so often (even though my broadband router is still connected).

However, the deco not being connected to the internet brings up a serious issue. I apparently need to log in to my TP Link account to be able to manage the routers (for instance to reboot them) but I can't login as the main deco has lost its internet connection.

Do I have to drop my wifi connection, so I can log in to my TP Link account, in order to reboot the unit?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Logging into the Deco app when the main Deco is disconnected from the internet.-Solution
2019-12-26 16:25:16 - last edited 2019-12-27 12:22:27

@gadders 

if your decos lose internet connection and you don't have a mobile 4G connection to fall back on then you are in a catch-22 situation where the deco just become paperweights. You can't manage the deco because you have no internet connection and you can't get them to have an internet connection because you can't manage them!

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Logging into the Deco app when the main Deco is disconnected from the internet.
2019-12-25 02:17:41

@gadders 

Hello, we will do some troubleshooting first so that we can locate the issue and try to fix it later. 

1. What is the current network diagram? What is the operation mode of Deco P9?
2. What is the led status of the Deco P9 when you lost connection? How do you make it back to work after that?

3. When Deco P9 stops working, with computer connected to the main Deco by wired cable directly, can you access internet? Try to simplify the network diagram -- connect the main Deco to the modem only and then connect your computer to the main Deco to verify whether it works well. At the same, with your cellphone connected to the Deco's wifi network, please click here  to get the IP and gateway. After that, try to login to the Deco app and verify whether it works. 

4. If still the same, please connect the computer to the modem, bypass the main Deco to test whether the network works. 
5. Besides, you can try to relocate them and swap the locations of Deco units.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Logging into the Deco app when the main Deco is disconnected from the internet.
2019-12-25 11:12:48

@Kevin_Z 

1. Internet --> Modem/Router --> Main Deco --> Two other decos around the house.

2. I check the app and it says it has lost internet connection. I got it back by pulling the plug and reconnecting it

3. This is the current setup.

4. Internet works when I do this.

This doesn't solve my issue of needing a connection to login to the deco app.

Options
Re:Logging into the Deco app when the main Deco is disconnected from the internet.-Solution
2019-12-26 16:25:16 - last edited 2019-12-27 12:22:27

@gadders 

if your decos lose internet connection and you don't have a mobile 4G connection to fall back on then you are in a catch-22 situation where the deco just become paperweights. You can't manage the deco because you have no internet connection and you can't get them to have an internet connection because you can't manage them!

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-12-27 03:12:08

@gadders 

Hello, when the main Deco lost internet, what is the led status of Deco units? With your computer connected to the Deco's network, you can try to login to the Deco app again. You can try to ping it, which is 192.168.68.1 by default, and please show us the ping results. 

Try to swap the locations of the Deco units; or you can setup the slave Deco as the main Deco. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2163

Replies: 4