Deco M9 plus wifi connections dropping continuously

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-27 16:07:48
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.10 Build 20190809 Rel. 54285

Hi,

I bought Deco M9 plus 3-pack one month ago and been generally happy with the equipment and its performace, except one thing: the M9 mesh system wifi connections are dropping continuously.

I have following quite standard setup:

- ISP modem (bridged) --eth--> Main DecoM9 (DHCP, NAT) --eth--> Gigabit switch --eth--> 2nd/3rd DecoM9 (both connected directly to the switch).

- The system is set into Router mode and satellite decos connected to main one via ethernet backhaul. I am having both 2,4+5GHz frequencies selected.

- Wired devices: One PC, Mac and TV connected via ethernet to gigabit switch, PS4 to 3rd Deco's ethernet port

- Wireless devices at home: 2 ipads, 4 iphones, AppleTV, two notebooks, etc.

My problem is that the wifi connection drops often unexpectedly and then all wireless devices lose simultaneously internet connection. These devices can be in different places at home. However, all wired devices are having flawless internet connection at the same time so this cannot be an ISP issue. While the wifi connection goes down, the wifi signal strength shows still 100% in the devices. All Decos have green light when this happens, and the wifi/internet connection returns itself back after some time, typically after a couple of minutes. This can happen multiple times per day, sometimes 2-3 times per hour and while everyone at home in the evenings, it can be very frustrating.

The firmware is latest and I have tried changing AP locations, re-booted them, unplugged/plugged from power, etc. but the issue does not go away. I am a bit helpless at the moment. Is there any idea what could be causing this and how to cure to this erratic behavior?

Thank you very much, appreciate any advice on this.

Options
45 Reply
Re:Deco M9 plus wifi connections dropping continuously
2019-12-30 02:07:49 - last edited 2019-12-30 02:08:10

@Kalle_A 

Hello, we need do some troubleshooting first to locate the issue so that we can try to fix it later. 

1. Are they still connected to the Deco's wifi but no internet or they lose wireless connection at all when wifi connection drops out? If it is the former one, please click here to get the IP address and gateway.

2. At that time, with computer connected to the main Deco directly, can you access internet? Try to simplify the network diagram, in other word, connect the main Deco to the modem only and then connect your computer to the main Deco to verify whether it works well.

3. If still the same, please connect the computer to the modem, bypass the main Deco to test whether the network works. 

4. What is the model number of your switch? Try to remove the switch and test whether it wroks. 
5. Besides, you can try to change the slave Deco to the main Deco to test the performance. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2020-04-03 16:58:38
I am having the same exact issue with my decos, except that I dont have a switch and the decos are set to work as AP. The internet drops amazingly frequently!!!! Have you find a solition given that your post was back in 2019? If you do please let me know.
Options
2020-04-04 07:41:35

@Bader2001 

Hi, I tried to do some troubleshooting based on instructions above (thanks for those), but found it bit difficult. The wireless connection dropping is hard to predict and you should be immediately testing wired connection, which is not always possible. But according to my older son who is spending quite much time behind his pc, he has not complained any wired connection problems, which indicates that the issue was in wireless and not likely ISP problem. But cannot be 100% sure.

Since my last posting, I have noticed that the wireless connection issues have been much more infrequent and I barely have them any more, maybe 1-2 times per week max. And now in this corona situation the whole family is at home and someone is always in internet and we have basically no complaints.

I have not made any changes to Deco setup, only a couple of re-boots to one satellite, ensuring all wired connections were ok and switched some cabling to new, and maybe one sw update to Decos. So the initial problem has basically disappeared somehow and I kept the units and now I am quite happy with them. Speed is amazing and I like the mibile app which is good for my purposes. So unfortunately I cannot help you too much here as the issues have been fading away... I don't know do the Decos have some intelligence built-in so that the units 'learn' the load balancing etc?

Options
2020-04-05 09:46:46

@Kevin_Z 

Hi there, 

I seem to be having a similar issue as well. I have 1 main deco and 1 satelite deco and on my satelite deco I have a wired in laptop and another laptop on wifi. I notice that the laptop on wifi loses internet a few times a day and I need to disconnect and recconnect as the wifi still says its connected but no internet. I notice that I have the same issue with my other laptop that is wired into the satelite deco being connected but losing internet. Seems there must be a connetivity issue between the main deco and the satelite deco. I do not  have any issues when I am connect to the main deco. I have even reinstalled the latest v1 firmware and nothing has chaged. Please advise on the solution.

Options
2020-04-06 16:52:46

I appear to be suffering the same issue, I bought these deco9 units as an upgrade to my old AV500 units. I am a network engineer by trade so my home setup is a little a-typical but still fairly simple. I installed the decos as access points initially connected to a L2 switch off from the main router. 

The decos worked brilliantly for about a week and then on saturday they not only stopped routing wifi they also took down the wired network. I was able to repeat this several times, unplugging the decos brought the network back to life, plugging them in and after 10-20 minutes of normal use even pings across wired PCs where dropped.

I moved everything around in the end so the deco was able to be plugged directly into the vm router and Sunday they were ok again, until this morning. I started work and in my first meeting the network drops out constantly. Slight improvement, today the decos are only taking themselves out and the wired network appears to remain ok.

I have now returned to using the old AV500 units. they're really slow, they get quite hot and every few days they need a reboot but they still work better than the deco's 

Options
2020-05-11 18:27:55
Sadly they are not supporting this product line!!! $250 for the M9 plus and it disconnects several times per day!!!
Options
2020-05-22 09:58:35

Is there any update on this at all?

Seems like I'm having the same issue: the devices connected to my Decos by an ethernet cable (via a switch) work perfectly while devices on Wi-Fi lose the internet connection regularly (while still being connected to the Wi-Fi network). 

Options
2020-05-25 13:01:02

@tau 

I have the opposite probelm - my wired connection drops even after short periods of time. The deco andoid app also drops my profiles almost immediately rendering the parental control feature useless.

Tp-link please help! I 'upgraded' from your av600 powerline system to extend my isp router/access point. It was totally stable for 3 years. Now £300 later I have all these problems. 

Options
2020-06-02 17:28:58

I'm also having trouble with occasional dropouts in wifi even though the wired works fine.  The dropouts are brief but annoying since it seems to happen at least once a day.  Was hoping there would be debugging and an update.

Options
2020-06-03 05:02:47

@tykra no response and no support. I will not be buying another TP-Link product after this experience. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 13

Views: 26748

Replies: 45