Creating network using wired connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-01 20:53:20 - last edited 2020-01-06 09:23:11
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.11 Build 20190926

In my house I have wired internet connections in every room. I used to have routers on every floor, in access point mode, all having the same SSID. It worked okay but your mobile device did not (always) switch to the strongrst signal. And I ran into other minor issues. That why I bought the M9 PLUS. I have quite a number of devices using internet, most of them are connected wired. I am using switches in several places to share the connection. I would say I have 20 wired connections and 10 wireless connections. 

I have set up the three M9's according to the user's manual and it is working fine. I am using AP-mode because the main cable router has all my DHCP settings. 

I have two questions and hope you can help me. 

1) I can connect the M9's with the exisiting internet cables, as I did when using routers. The M9's connect wirelessly with each other to create the network. Now, when network cables are used, like I described, will the M9's still connect to each other through wifi or will they use the cable connection to establish an interlink if that is available? Sort of the powerline way I think. 

I hope my question is clear enough.

2) I like to use wired connections as much as possible because I feel this is the most stable connection. Currently, the main M9 is connected to the main switch in access point mode. The main switch is connected to the ISP modem. If I would swap places of the M9 and main switch, so the M9 is connected to the ISP modem (wired) and connected to the main switch (wired). The mode switched from Access Point mode to Router mode. The main M9 will be used as DHCP server and taking care of assinging (fixed) Ip addresses. Since the main M9 is main router can it handle the load of all devices? What's the capacity / bandwidth ? I have a 500Mb ISP connection and I am a heavy user. I like to stream 4k movies for example. 

Reason why I have my current setup is that now the M9's are only needed for wireless connection whereas the wired devices have their own circuit. Both wired and wireless circuits are in the same network, 192.168.0.x in my case so wired and wireless connections can 'see' each other. For example, when I use Plex to stream from my wired Synology server to my wireless Ipad they do need the same network. 

English is not my native language and I hope all is clear. Thank you in advance!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Creating network using wired connections-Solution
2020-01-03 06:08:32 - last edited 2020-01-06 09:23:13

@Gerco 

Hello, I agree with you that the ethernet connection is more stable than wireless connection; The Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless to build up the mesh network together; And once Ethernet backhaul is established, the Wi-Fi backhaul connection will disconnect automatically.

To get more information about ethernet backhaul, you can read https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/98898

And the current network diagram is that ISP modem--switch--main Deco )))((( other two slave Decos; you can swap the location of the Deco and switch and change the operation mode to regular router, then the main Deco will be the main router and work as the DHCP sevrer. For the number of connected device supported by Deco, you can read the article below. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1589/

The actual performance is related to the network environment, including the ISP modem, distance, interference and so on. And the Deco supports QoS, you can enable it to prioritize the specific service, like streaming. 

May it help.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-01-04 08:06:56 - last edited 2020-01-06 09:23:11

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for your reply. It does help! 

I have put the ISP modem in bridge mode and connected one M9 directly to this ISP modem. This M9 is in Router mode and connected to the main switch. The other M9's are connected to this switch wiredly. Everything's working as a charm and precisely as I want! 

Again, thank you, Kevin. :-) 

Kind regards,

Gerco 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2020-01-03 06:08:32 - last edited 2020-01-06 09:23:13

@Gerco 

Hello, I agree with you that the ethernet connection is more stable than wireless connection; The Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless to build up the mesh network together; And once Ethernet backhaul is established, the Wi-Fi backhaul connection will disconnect automatically.

To get more information about ethernet backhaul, you can read https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/98898

And the current network diagram is that ISP modem--switch--main Deco )))((( other two slave Decos; you can swap the location of the Deco and switch and change the operation mode to regular router, then the main Deco will be the main router and work as the DHCP sevrer. For the number of connected device supported by Deco, you can read the article below. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1589/

The actual performance is related to the network environment, including the ISP modem, distance, interference and so on. And the Deco supports QoS, you can enable it to prioritize the specific service, like streaming. 

May it help.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-01-04 08:06:56 - last edited 2020-01-06 09:23:11

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for your reply. It does help! 

I have put the ISP modem in bridge mode and connected one M9 directly to this ISP modem. This M9 is in Router mode and connected to the main switch. The other M9's are connected to this switch wiredly. Everything's working as a charm and precisely as I want! 

Again, thank you, Kevin. :-) 

Kind regards,

Gerco 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Creating network using wired connections
2020-01-06 09:21:23

@Gerco 

Hello Gerco, thanks for your valued reply and glad to hear that it works perfectly now. 

You can enjoy the internet with the Deco units.

If need more help in the future, be free to contact us.

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 909

Replies: 3