Problems with online gaming via the Steam platform

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-05 19:24:47
Region : China

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.23 Build 120810 Rel.44064n

ISP : China Unicom

Hi There,

I have recently setup my wireless router and run into a problem when trying to play games on Steam. The Steam platform boots up fine and I have been downloading games without any issues, However, when I tried to join a game hosted by a friend in the UK I ran into a number of problems.

Steam would suddenly log me out.

I have had Windows Firewall messages pop up, which I chose to 'allow' access.

The game I booted would lose connection to the host and hang. The only way I can get out of this freeze is to restart the PC. Having alt-tabbed out I discovered that Steam had logged me out.

I have no idea what is going on but this is a new problem as I had no issues with my previous router.

Some research online points me to opening up ports for Steam, but these details make no sense at all to me:

Steam Client

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 4380

How am I supposed to translate those details into my router admin settings? I have no experience with this and no clue where to start.

If anyone could offer some advice and/or a step by step guide to how to open up the above ports I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Mike.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Problems with online gaming via the Steam platform
2013-01-06 15:42:37
maybe you can try to open the DMZ on the NAT for your computer on the router.
and also check the windows security or firewall on the computer.
Options
Re:Problems with online gaming via the Steam platform
2018-09-11 18:02:59
try to open the DMZ!!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1526

Replies: 2

Related Articles